Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Socks slipping...
I just finished a pair of socks for DH and he is wearing them today. He came in the house and said they keep slipping down from the heel. What could I have done wrong? The pattern is a Man Sock from Hannah Fettig. It's just a basic 1x1 rib to heel and then stockinette st the rest of the way. Here is my Rav page. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/luvmykid28/man-socks I used Paton Classic Wool Merino.

Did I not knit the foot long enough? DH's foot is 7.5" long and I knit it 2" less to accomidate the toe. Any suggestions? I want to CO another pair for him with the same yarn, but diff color, but I'd like this pair to fit. BTW, I did not block them. Should I or is that nesseccary for socks?

Thank you for you help.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

Sounds like they are too short. You can either plan you negative ease in the circumference of the sock. Or the length. I go with the circumference by continuing the ribbing down the top of the foot to about 2 inches before the toe. Extending the ribbing gives me a fudge factor with the fit.
Abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abby123 For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (02-11-2010)
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
crocee
Knitting the Flap

Your husband must have a really small foot. I am making a pair of socks for my son who wears a 10 1/2 size shoe. His foot is 9 1/2 inches long, so I make the body of the sock 7 1/2 inches and do the toe decrease over the next 2 inches for a total of 9 1/2.

I measure the foot from the rounded end of the toe to the rounded end of the heel.
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crocee For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (02-12-2010)
Old 02-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

If those are the socks on his feet in your picture on Rav, then I am going to have to say that the heel is started too late and that the tension from his heel pulling on the sock while he's walking is pulling the sock down. (See, Mom, I AM still using my science degree!)

If those aren't his socks in the picture, then listen to the pros here because I'm stumped.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaR For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (02-12-2010)
Old 02-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
Your husband must have a really small foot. I am making a pair of socks for my son who wears a 10 1/2 size shoe. His foot is 9 1/2 inches long, so I make the body of the sock 7 1/2 inches and do the toe decrease over the next 2 inches for a total of 9 1/2.

I measure the foot from the rounded end of the toe to the rounded end of the heel.
Thank you, I found my sock it to me ruler from Knit Picks and realized that I have made the foot way too short for his shoe size. He wears a 9.5.

Originally Posted by AngelaR View Post
If those are the socks on his feet in your picture on Rav, then I am going to have to say that the heel is started too late and that the tension from his heel pulling on the sock while he's walking is pulling the sock down. (See, Mom, I AM still using my science degree!)

If those aren't his socks in the picture, then listen to the pros here because I'm stumped.

Yes, he is wearing the socks in the picture. I can see what you are talking about. I am going to keep them for myself and make him a new pair.

He did wear them all day yesterday even though they kept falling down. What a sweetie. I couldn't have dealt with it.

Thanks eveyone for your help. I learned a lesson on these and that's why I love knitting.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
My first pair of socks were knit a little short and they do that. Knit them a half inch longer or so and they should be fine.

Also..I knit the heel flap a tad longer on mine because I have a little higher instep. This also helps keep them in place.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (02-12-2010)