Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Raven Fyre
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to Raven Fyre
A good idea gone bad?
As chirstmas came and went my husband's family noticed I knit and the requests for next year came rolling in. Dish/hand towels. I've googled myself silly and haven't found a patterned that makes sense to me. I've already bought the yarn Bernat (very quickly becoming a favorite brand with me) 100% cotton ultra soft in white I some how lucked out and found 710 yards of the stuff for $9 couldn't beat it and all the women want machine washable and dryable and bleach friendly so white should fill the bill. I'm thinking that a droped stick soap sack should work for the rest of the male cousins as everyone is starting to travel alot with respective companies not really sure on something for the three females. Suggestions on all would be awesome. I'm starting now as I have a very limited amount of time to knit and this is a large family. How many dish cloths/handtowels should I knit per person? Gift ideas for three girls late teens early 20s and a fairly straight forward quick and easy pattern for dish cloths/hand towels would be super.
Thanks,

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I definitely wouldn't knit more than 2-3 per person.You can fold them into quarters and tie with ribbon just as is without wrapping paper.

I liked this very simple waffle knit dishcloth

For teen girls, I'd say it depends on their taste. I find that all of my friends(18-late 20s) start making cute overload squeaky noises when I show them my amigurumi(crochet).Another simple gift for a coffee lover could be a mug cozie. You could even maybe make some simple headbands.

I get flooded with requests every time I take on a new craft; sewing, corsetry and knitting have been the worst. O__O people actually wanted me to make dozens of corsets for everyone.I now only make the more complicated things for pay.I do give gifts but I don't say yes to requests anymore.I took these things up for my benefit,after all- lol! Remember that it is your craft and if you feel over loaded with the workload, you can always say no.
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meowmeowmeow For This Useful Post:
Raven Fyre (12-28-2009)
Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Raven Fyre
1st Leg of the Journey

I can't imagine making one corset let alone dozens lol. I don't mind the dish clothes I did find one finnally that seems to make sense and seems easy. I'm not making something overly complex for people I might seen once a year.

http://www.groovy-mom.com/crafty/pat...ishcloth.shtml

as for the 18-20 year olds not sure they'd be into headbands, none of them drink hot drinks so I just haven't a clue as to what to do. I figure if I can get everything figured out and work on it through out the year I might just might be done this time next year.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...dishcloths.php
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/cloths.htm
http://www.knittingknonsense.com/index2.html
There are tons of knit dishcloths here.
I'd say 1 or 2 per person along with a small bottle of body wash makes a nice present.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
lissaplus2
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to lissaplus2
I just found these im gonna knit for my 18yo and my 22 yo daughters..prob knit them a couple pairs each.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTknucks.html

if you crochet...you should make scrubbies to go with the washcloth and dishtowels...i did that for the women in my family one year and i get requests for scrubbies now.. i just make them for stocking stuffers for them every year now.

lissaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Raven Fyre
1st Leg of the Journey

I've knitted a scrubbie though I believe it was called a bath poof. I'm no where near ready to try gloves let alone fingerless ones. I just need to find something cool neat and realitively quick and easy to make.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
fluffybunny
1st Leg of the Journey

OH! I'm so envious that you are making your own corsets. I bought the stuff to sew my own bras, but have been too timid to start them yet.

Little soap bags are a great idea! You can put all the little oddments of soap in it, and use it to wash with. Love that idea! cotton waffle stitch would be great for that too.

My family knows better than to ask me to knit/spin/sew for them now. After I went to my SIL's home and found the hand knit afghan I made for them in the dog's basket, I quickly took it back and said never to expect anything else ever. And I mean it. How disrespectful of someone's labor can you get?

When I feel there is a need for something, I will knit for my bro & niece. But the SIL can expect never to have a single hand made thing again.

Good luck! Hope your family is more grateful than mine is!
Donna
fluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

so is this cotton softer to work with then say, Peaches and Cream or that type? I would knit more dish cloths if I could find something that didn't feel so darn stiff and scratchy to me, plus I don't like the feeling of them when done. They are too thick for me to squeeze water out of with my pain issues.
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #9
Raven Fyre
1st Leg of the Journey

This cotton is very easy to knit with the easiest yarn I"ve knitted with and my current favorite.

I think everyone is going to get soap sacks and dish towels and call it done. Because other wise I'll be knitting til the end of time lol.

I can't imgine why someone would give a dog a hand knitted item.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
MesaVerde
Ribbing the Cuff

Teenagers is my area of expertise, considering I am one. I knitted ALL my friends gifts. I made a few of them lacey, sparkly scarves, one a glasses holder, one a coin purse, a bunch of them headbands, one a drawstring pouch, and one a knitted bow that I hot glued onto a clip. These are just a few of the hundred of options. All of these are quick projects, and most take 3 hours or less. The scarves take a bit longer, probably about 6 hours.
MesaVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MesaVerde For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (12-31-2009), Raven Fyre (01-06-2010)