Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

flying with knitting needles update
Just got a phone call from my pissed off friend, who had flown from Chicago to Utah. She took her Boye Balene knitting needles in her carry on bag. She brought dpns and circulars, just in case they took one, she'd have the other-- she was knitting socks and likes both dpns and magic loop. They are cheap, so having them taken wouldn't make her nuts, and they are slightly flexible, so not the more dangerous looking metal or solid wood. The socks were partially knit and she had the instructions with her. It was clear she was actually knitting socks. They wouldn't let her take any knitting needles in her carry on, they took both the circs and the dpns from her. P.S.: she is very calm and professional looking, is well educated and comes across that way-- there was nothing to make anyone suspicious.

She went to a her LYS's knitting circle this morning and shared her story-- and another woman there said the same thing happened going from Boston to Philadelphia last week. These are not international flights. Flyers, beware: it sounds like the odds of getting your needles taken, no matter what kind or what your destination, is getting a lot higher.
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

In this part of the world - UK - taking knitting needles in your carry-on luggage is a definite no-no. Security, especially at the airports in Northern Ireland, where I live, is very strict. I did manage to take on bamboo needles on one flight as those don't show up on x-ray.

Have you ever tried finger knitting? No need for any needles with that!

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
LifeIsGood
Ribbing the Cuff

Interesting because this is the offical word from the TSA.
The Following User Says Thank You to LifeIsGood For This Useful Post:
OldSkool (02-15-2010)
Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

I know, this is my point. No matter what the official word or what anyone tells you, they may take them.
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I spoke with an acquaintance at TSA about this as we are planning on a trip at Spring Break and I was told that it depends on the ignorance of the TSA agent at the terminal and time you fly. She told me that there had been a dust up of sorts at the Philadelphia air port last year when a woman sat next to another woman on a flight who was knitting. The lady demanded, upon landing, on speaking to a TSA supervisor. She demanded they send her needles (no idea what kind, but they had to be nice) sent to her at the agent's expense. She said she figured that way that agent would know the rules from now on and how to do her job.

I had to laugh when she told the story because it sounds like something my grandmother would have done.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
Can you still pack your knitting in luggage you check? I understand carry on to a point, but still....
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
OldSkool
Ribbing the Cuff

Ya know, I would print that page off of the TSA website and throw it in their faces (not literally because they've got a crappy job/are just trying to do their jobs which is to protect you while you are in a tin can 35K miles above the Earth/they're human beings too) to prove to them that, although knitting is an addiction, it's still harmless... relatively. Some of them probably do not receive the proper training and/or are excessively protective.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #8
etoilechaude
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
Ya know, I would print that page off of the TSA website and throw it in their faces (not literally because they've got a crappy job/are just trying to do their jobs which is to protect you while you are in a tin can 35K miles above the Earth/they're human beings too) to prove to them that, although knitting is an addiction, it's still harmless... relatively. Some of them probably do not receive the proper training and/or are excessively protective.
Indeed!!! I think printing off the TSA page is a great thing to do!!! I am a STUBBORN brat though :o)

EvanP on Ravelry (Hey that's rhymes!)
etoilechaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Having your knitting in your checked luggage is no problem.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Regardless what is posted on TSA website, it is still up to the individual inspector whether to allow or not. I don't think you'll get to far beyond pissing them off if you try to point out to them knitting needles are allowed.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote