Old 02-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

How young is too young to learn to knit?
About what age was the youngest knitter that you have heard of? What age is a good age for a child to be co-ordinated enough to knit?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
MesaVerde
Ribbing the Cuff

My really good friend learned when she was 7, but she didn't start up again until she was 11. I'd say 10 is a good age for someone to teach you. To learn from a book would be at least 12.

OTN: A hat for me!

FO: Brothers earflap hat, Grandpa's hat, and Lacey scarf.
MesaVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
I really think it depends on the child. Some children have enough patience and dexterity to knit at 6, others might not be ready till they are 12.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I have seen childrens Learn to Knit kits at the hobby stores with large plastic needles and they are recommended for ages 6 and up. I'm not sure you can stamp and age on it. I would think that it depends on the child and their ability to pay attention and will to sit still. I don't think it would be worth the aggravation to try to teach a kid whose attention is all over the map or a kid who prefers to play outside until they are around 12 or 13 years of age.

Having taught kids for years I can honestly say, it really just depends on the kid and if they really want to learn.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
zkimom
Working the Gusset

My kids both learned to knit at school when they were 7. They went to a Waldorf school and knitting (well, handwork in general) is a big part of the curriculum.

They begin by teaching finger knitting in the early childhood and then having the children make their own needles from dowels and begin to knit in the first grade. That said, there are kids who can only make a tangled mess of their work for the first year and others who pick it up quickly. I still have the rather odd shaped piece of knitting that was my son's first work somewhere around.

I would guess that most kids can get the hang of working with knitting needles around the age of 7 but agree that it depends on the child and their level of interest as to whether they'll stick with it or not.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
cftwo
Working the Gusset

My friend reports that her 8 yo dd has become a pretty good knitter (for an 8 yo), but before that, she just didn't have the patience to sit still long enough to do something. I think I learned when I was about 10 or so.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Irishmam
1st Leg of the Journey

My 8 year old is a good knitter with the co-ordination and patience needed. My 5 year old is not able yet
Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

I learned to knit when I was 5 years old. Last summer I taught a 9 year old girl with ADD. It was remarkable. She would sit wioth me for extended periods of time and knit. This is a child who is constantly in motion and always yelling. She is a neighbor's child and the entire neighborhood was surprised to see her sitting quietly with me.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Originally Posted by suecq View Post
I learned to knit when I was 5 years old. Last summer I taught a 9 year old girl with ADD. It was remarkable. She would sit wioth me for extended periods of time and knit. This is a child who is constantly in motion and always yelling. She is a neighbor's child and the entire neighborhood was surprised to see her sitting quietly with me.
I wonder if there have been studies on this sort of thing. Kids with ADD doing crafts to keep them focused. I wonder what the results would be.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
melmac51
Turning the Heel

I learned to knit (from a friend) when I was around 10. Never learned to bind off, so I put it down for about 16 years. I picked it up again from a magazine, and taught myself how to bind off. I'm still learning new things even now.