Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

Socks/DPN's/Need some advice!
http://knittingbunny.blogspot.com/20...0_archive.html

Hopefully this won't get too wordy. After knitting with only straight needles, (on and off), for over 50 years, I was determined to learn how to use circular needles and DPN's this year. The circular needles have been no problem. (Only kicking myself for not doing it sooner!) DPN's....Well shall we say I'm struggling along and not giving up. Now I'd like to try knitting a pair of socks, but don't want to begin with the "real" thing,(heel, gusset and all). Thought tube socks might be a good way to start while I get more comfortable with all those needles flopping around.

Today I took the plunge and ordered some size 2 Harmony DPN's from Knit Picks and found a site with some sock yarn on sale 50% off. (Fingering wt.) I made sure it had some nylon content for durability.

I had been scouting around looking at/for a simple tube sock pattern and the simplest one I've found so far is the link above. Does anyone have a pattern they think might be easier for me to start with? I'm planning to make these only slightly above the ankle bone. Just want something I can wear around the house to keep my bare feet off the cold kitchen and bath tile. What I'm concerned about with this particular pattern is that I have small feet,(size 5), narrow ankles, and slim calves. I want the socks to have a snug fit to my feet. Do I need to alter this pattern?!! How? Again maybe someone's got a better game plan for me.

Would really appreciate any advise from you experts out there and if you think I should go with a different pattern. I'd like to have my pattern all set to go before my needles and yarn arrive. YO! I AM SO EXCITED!
Jeanie

Last edited by kittykins : 03-16-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: In title want to change advise to advice
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kittykins View Post
http://knittingbunny.blogspot.com/20...0_archive.html

Hopefully this won't get too wordy. After knitting with only straight needles, (on and off), for over 50 years, I was determined to learn how to use circular needles and DPN's this year. The circular needles have been no problem. (Only kicking myself for not doing it sooner!) DPN's....Well shall we say I'm struggling along and not giving up. Now I'd like to try knitting a pair of socks, but don't want to begin with the "real" thing,(heel, gusset and all). Thought tube socks might be a good way to start while I get more comfortable with all those needles flopping around.

Today I took the plunge and ordered some size 2 Harmony DPN's from Knit Picks and found a site with some sock yarn on sale 50% off. (Fingering wt.) I made sure it had some nylon content for durabil
I had been scouting around looking at/for a simple tube sock pattern and the simplest one I've found so far is the link above. Does anyone have a pattern they think might be easier for me to start with? I'm planning to make these only slightly above the ankle bone. Just want something I can wear around the house to keep my bare feet off the cold kitchen and bath tile. What I'm concerned about with this particular pattern is that I have small feet,(size 5), narrow ankles, and slim calves. I want the socks to have a snug fit to my feet. Do I need to alter this pattern?!! How? Again maybe someone's got a better game plan for me.

Would really appreciate any advise from you experts out there and if you think I should go with a different pattern. I'd like to have my pattern all set to go before my needles and yarn arrive. YO! I AM SO EXCITED!
Jeanie
Wow..50 years!!! Did you ever knit anything "in the round"? aka "no seams"? I am not sure what you mean by "tube sock"? However, when I finally got the "courage" to try socks on dpn's, I went step by step with Silver's Tutorial..all I can say is "amazing"...sooo, anticipate your yarn (I love Harmony Needles) watch this tutorial and knit on..
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/ another one is on the forum..something like "Northern Socks"..just go to patterns on home page....good luck, have fun.

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
kittykins (03-16-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Cheley!
Tube socks are basically just what the word "tube" implies. They are pretty much just a knit tube, without all the heel, gusset etc. work that goes into making regular socks. When you have the length you want, you just decrease for the toe part. Thanks so much for the link to Silver's Sock Class. I already have it marked for when I feel I have a handle on the DPN's. I understand how to use them. They just still feel awkward. This truly is my first time knitting anything in the round. I've done sweaters and hats, but everything has always had to be seamed. Actually many years ago I did give circular needles a try. Not a pleasant experience! They were a poor quality and the yarn kept getting hung up on the connection between the cable and the needle. Just never tried again until now. Well like they say...better late than never! Jeanie
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
A couple of items:

You might find that knitting socks on two circular needles or possibly using one circular needle using Magic Loop easier than double point. Fewer needles to worry about.

After 50 year of knitting you are over the two big hurdles, 1) how to knit and purl and 2) all stitches are just variation on knits and purls.

With you experience I assume that you have picked up stitches before. To me this is the only hard part of top down socks.

I believe that toe-up socks are easier than top down.

Toe-up Sock gussets are simply paired increases to account for the large size of he foot just before the ankle.

Check out the help video in the knittingHelp

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

about half way down the page there is a section on turning sock heels.

SOCK ARE EASY TO KNIT

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
kittykins (03-16-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
margrue
Ribbing the Cuff

The pattern link you included looks pretty good for a first try.
Notice that the sock has 56 sts at 7 sts/inch. for a measurement of 8 inches around. If your foot/ankle measurement is much less than 8 in, you can start with fewer sts at the start.
If you do start with fewer sts, you will probably have to change the knit7,purl7 pattern to whatever combination of knit sts and purl sts will fit your total.
If your measurement is 7 in for instance, and you decide to start with 49 sts, (7sts/in x 7 in = 49 sts) you will need to make it 48 sts so the k2p2 ribbing will turn out right.
Then you could do knit6,purl6 for the length of the sock instead of k7,p7 as in the pattern.
Otherwise you should be able to follow the pattern just fine.
Good luck. After a couple of pairs of tube socks, find an easy sock pattern and you can learn to make heels.
margrue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to margrue For This Useful Post:
kittykins (03-28-2011)