Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

I asked my mom to teach me to knit when I was 7. She had the patience of a saint. Even though I wanted to learn, I had a tough time getting the hang of it.

I'd say between 7-10yo. Or whenever the child shows interest.
Abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
I don't know how young. But God love anyone who's willing to teach an 8 yo how to knit. I'm in the process of teaching a friend of mine who is 34 how to knit and there are times I could pull my hair out. She just lacks the dexterity to get this easily. I can't imagine what it would be like to teach someone that young. Maybe I'll grab one of my nieces and force my hobbies on them just to see how it goes.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

I'm in the process of teaching myself to knit left handed. Ugh, my tension is horrible. It has given me empathy for all the beginners out there.

I'm reading "Andean Folk Knits" by M.Lewandowski. Children in the Andes learn to knit when they are 5. And are doing multicolored pattern work before they are 10. So I guess it is possible to learn younger.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Abby123 View Post
I'm in the process of teaching myself to knit left handed. Ugh, my tension is horrible. It has given me empathy for all the beginners out there.

I'm reading "Andean Folk Knits" by M.Lewandowski. Children in the Andes learn to knit when they are 5. And are doing multicolored pattern work before they are 10. So I guess it is possible to learn younger.

Why do you want to teach yourself how to knit left-handed? For a special project? I'm a lefty, but knit right-handed (didn't know it until years after I'd learned.) Just curious.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by melmac51 View Post
Why do you want to teach yourself how to knit left-handed?
I have arthritis. Not real bad, but enough that my hands ache if I hold the yarn in the same manner all the time. So I switch out styles, English & Continental. And also vary the way I carry my working yarn.

I'm learning so I can make the wear & tear on my hands balanced. The idea is to knit across with one hand & back with the other. No flipping the work needed. And each hand gets a break between rows.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abby123 For This Useful Post:
melmac51 (02-17-2010)
Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I have arthritis. Not real bad, but enough that my hands ache if I hold the yarn in the same manner all the time. So I switch out styles, English & Continental. And also vary the way I carry my working yarn.

I'm learning so I can make the wear & tear on my hands balanced. The idea is to knit across with one hand & back with the other. No flipping the work needed. And each hand gets a break between rows.
Have you checked out Portuguese knitting? I know some who have made the change and they do say it helps with arthritis and carpal tunnel

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
HeartLeeKnit (02-18-2010)
Old 02-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
HeartLeeKnit
Casting On

Last weekend during a visit, I found out my granddaughter knows how to knit! I was fumbling (a beginner) & she took over... Surprise -She learned how to knit in 3rd grade (7 years old). AS if it was a natural occurance. Okay, she is in Boulder,CO - they do things differently there. Life skills, hands-on learning.... Indigo children.

Yes, WALDORF school.

Does she knit now? No, never. Children 7-10 are just too active. No interest. (Except showing Grandma how to knit.)
**Important to note: Many years later, she still knows how to knit! Maybe it is similar to teaching children different languages while they are young. Worth a thought....

Children are amazing!
Lee
Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #18
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

I tried carrying over my left shoulder. And I ended up sitting on my yarn all the time. Guess it wasn't for me. The article mentioned teaching blind people to knit. Wow, I thought teaching beginner was challenging enough.

Lee, I agree. I think learning to knit increases dexterity in children.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abby123 For This Useful Post:
HeartLeeKnit (02-18-2010)
Old 02-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
HeartLeeKnit
Casting On

The article mentioned teaching blind people to knit. Wow, I thought teaching beginner was challenging enough.

Lee, I agree. I think learning to knit increases dexterity in children.
Never thought about dexterity. Good point! I was astounded when my granddaughter took over my knitting - needles flying perfect rows of sts!

Portuguese knitting - teaching the blind. WELL, I am visually impaired (can not even drive now). Teaching myself to knit. However, I do have visual aids and - more importantly - the gift of touch (as magnificant as a child's gift of dexterity)!
When you lose some of one sensual ability, your other senses improve (greatly). Knitting - I knew I would have to rely alot on my sense of touch. Did not know if it could do this. STILL a beginner, but I am knitting, really knitting!

Switching hands or trying Portuguese knitting to handle arthritis or carpal tunnel -good for you!

Teaching a child or handicapped person (blind or arthritic) may be challenging, but definately worth exploring!
Life is FULL of surprises... If you do not try, you will not succeed.

Smiles to all of you!
Lee
Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I tried to teach my daughter to knit when she was 5- she didn't have the dexterity or patience for it then, so I taught her to finger knit. She loved that. I taught her to needle knit at 6 and she did great. She's now 8 and making her friend a garter stitch shawl.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote