Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #31
CountryNaturals
Knitting the Flap

I was 5. I remember casting on with the finger method and really wanting to learn the long-tail cast on. I also remember the elaborate motion of letting go of the needle to put the yarn over, so my tension must have been awful, but that's all I can remember. There are no finished masterpieces in the cedar chest from that period, so maybe that's as far as I got.
The funny thing is that I have no other knitting memories until after I was married and knitted a bulky sweater for my husband, but that wasn't hard, so I must have done some other knitting throughout my childhood, that I've forgotten. My mother did all the knitting for our kids and my mil loved to crochet, so there was no need for me to pick up the needles when I was a young, busy mom.
I didn't get serious about knitting until I retired at 50. Now I rarely sit down without picking up my needles and I always have at least 2 projects going. (I start my Christmas knitting for the next year before the decorations are down from the previous year.)
CountryNaturals is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #32
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by CountryNaturals View Post
I was 5. I remember casting on with the finger method and really wanting to learn the long-tail cast on. I also remember the elaborate motion of letting go of the needle to put the yarn over, so my tension must have been awful, but that's all I can remember. There are no finished masterpieces in the cedar chest from that period, so maybe that's as far as I got.
Haha, that's my first knitting memory! My grandma taught me to cast on (she actually taught me Longtail) and then went to cook dinner, assuming that I would cast on a few stitches, get bored and watch TV.
Lets just say that my first scarf starts about two feet wide and eventually narrows out to 6 inches.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #33
Tyrovive
Casting On

I am in a similar situation with an 8 1/2 year old. She is very motivated after seeing me knit, but want to jump straight into it. Any teaching suggestions? I feel that I need to start her with a quick/easy headband so she feels like she did something.
Tyrovive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #34
TEMA
Turning the Heel

A friend of mine who was originally from England was knitting socks at the age of 5... for me that's a little young but in England in those days, it was normal to teach the little ones, boys and girls alike, to knit quite young.
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #35
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Debbie Macomber was saying (saw her on my Series 600 Knitting Daily TV dvd) that knitting saved her life, and rescued her self-esteem! She stated that she's dyslexic...so she never learned to read til she was in 5th grade...but she could knit perfectly well...and reading patterns actually helped her increase her reading abilities...plus being able to DO SOMETHING WELL increased her self esteem by MILES!

So, just cuz a person lacks certain natural skill sets due to dyslexia, or are otherwise challenged in those abilities... doesn't mean they won't EXCEL in some other areas, especially those that need good motor skills, eye-hand coordination! Good "sense" about how things go together, almost intuitively knowing how it works.

Bruce Jenner is a classic example!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #36
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

I learned to knit from my grandmother as my mother was left-handed and just confused me. I was 7(or 8) and did 20 rows by 20 stitch squares. As I progressed, the squares got better and better. I made a quilt from all of them. I have sweater that I knitted at 10 and it still fits!! Recently, I went to the local school that has a knitting program for the children. There was a huge group from 4 up to 10. They all have on-going projects and there is two volunteers to help with problems. I offered to help should one of them, not be able to make it.