Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #31
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Yes, maybe someday!

I'm keeping my nose to the ground, as these e-readers develop!

I entered the i-pod world in November 2009, with the purchase of the 5th generation Nano i-Pod.
Or is it 6th generation? Anyway, the latest generation.

I'm waiting to see if e-readers do the same thing. Get better and better, for less and less.

I'd really like color for an e-reader. Thin, lightweight, long-lasting battery, color-capable screen.
For under $250.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #32
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Thanks for the information, Katie! Based on your post, I will be "passing" on any "e-reader" for now.
I'm in a sort of "protest mode". I protest the lack of versatility.

If I have a Sony Reader...but Amazon offers mainly Kindle books...I'm SOL.

I believe that all of these various e-reader companies could use the same technology, and that all e-books could be downloadable/readable in any reader.

I think it's a racket. I protest.

Maybe if I wait long enough...they'll come to an agreement.

Or maybe a 10th Generation Kindle book will be compatible with any e-book, not just Kindle books.

The short version is there is software called "Calibre" that can convert ebooks to various formats, and there are several distributors that use it to make their books available in all formats. That is, they offer them that way upfront, so that you can choose which format to download.

You can't get multiple formats from any of the bookstores who also sell dedicated devices, of course, but other booksellers and authors do sell their books as many formats as they can create. Getting the book you want in the format you need -- if it is available as an ebook -- is not difficult.

I don't think that there are a lot of reference e-books available yet (including knitting ones) mainly because of the small screen size. I think the technology is coming -- when they can do textbooks, they should be able to do other reference books as well -- but right now I think it is only good for reading.

It would be so cool if they could offer pattern and other receipe books as ebooks anyway, since then you could call them up on a netbook or iPod Touch/iPad and have access to them that way. I think, though, that while the publishers are trying to come up with a uniform method to restrict copying and sharing, taking the time to create and offer those types of ebooks will not be a priority.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #33
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks for taking time to share that information, Sakura!

I'd read that one of the most useful aspects about an e-book was that college students could 'buy their textbooks' as e-books, thereby reducing the weight on their backs, and of course, reducing costs.

I'm going to enjoy watching the e-book phenomenon develop.

It's sure gonna hurt the Swamp Loggers, who mainly pull 'pulp logs' out of undesireable swampy areas! The mills are seriously cutting down on their orders.

Ah well, I do believe in saving a tree. Our natural resource (USA) won't last forever. Europe used to have an abundance of forest, but I saw a 'special' on TV that shows severely EU is deforested. A lot of Ameria is deforested already.

We're spoiled out here in the West. But the day could come...

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #34
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Yes, maybe someday!

I'm keeping my nose to the ground, as these e-readers develop!

I entered the i-pod world in November 2009, with the purchase of the 5th generation Nano i-Pod.
Or is it 6th generation? Anyway, the latest generation.

I'm waiting to see if e-readers do the same thing. Get better and better, for less and less.

I'd really like color for an e-reader. Thin, lightweight, long-lasting battery, color-capable screen.
For under $250.

I think that e-reader technology will be improving constantly and there isn't going to be a point where they stop developing. Look at the car -- over 100 years old and still there are a ton of new innovations!

The color technology isn't there yet and there are companies working on coming out with a color e-ink screen, but I don't read anything on my reader that would be made better with color. The rest of your requirements are already out there. (Sony has the Pocket Reader -- PRS300 -- for $200.)

Not that I'm pushing. If you bought a Reader based on my recommendations, I'd probaby have to go out and buy a set of Addi Clicks to even the score!

I'm just very enthusiastic about my reader. I'm reading more than ever before and I'm reading longer books that I passed up before because I didn't want to carry the weight of them around with me.

Also, since I like to read several books simultaneously, I have them all with me together and can pick up whichever one I'm in the mood for at any time. (I have had as many as 200 books on my reader -- if I mix them right, there is always something on there that I'm in the mood to read.)
Old 03-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #35
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Thanks for taking time to share that information, Sakura!

I'd read that one of the most useful aspects about an e-book was that college students could 'buy their textbooks' as e-books, thereby reducing the weight on their backs, and of course, reducing costs.

I'm going to enjoy watching the e-book phenomenon develop.

It's sure gonna hurt the Swamp Loggers, who mainly pull 'pulp logs' out of undesireable swampy areas! The mills are seriously cutting down on their orders.

Ah well, I do believe in saving a tree. Our natural resource (USA) won't last forever. Europe used to have an abundance of forest, but I saw a 'special' on TV that shows severely EU is deforested. A lot of Ameria is deforested already.

We're spoiled out here in the West. But the day could come...

You're so kind! I'm afraid I'm going a little overboard.

I would have thought that the cardboard shipping box industry could take over where paper cuts back. Living in Michigan, in the heart of the auto industry, I can sympathize and am always sorry to see other industries that are forced to cut back due to lower demand. While it is good for the earth and the environment, it is still difficult to see companies falter and shut down.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #36
Freyja
Knitting the Flap

Other Download options to consider
Kindle you have to buy books from amazon
Sony, Nook, ipad you can check books out from your local library online
here is St. Louis Library for an example.
For your mp3/ipod you can check out WMA/mp3 Audiobook
For your Sony, Nook, ipad you can check out Adobe PDF eBook

...... ............
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #37
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I definitely believe e-readers are the wave of the future. It's just much greener and such a space saver. I guess I'm rebelling for a couple of reasons. First since it IS digital and the cost of production is way cheaper than actually printing books, the prices don't reflect that. It's not that much cheaper to DL an e-book than buy the original. I don't get that. Second, whatever I get I need to be able to share with my daughter - I think some allow this and some don't. We buy books now and take turns reading them (and share with friends if they want to read them) - fiction books that is. I have to own my knitting reference books. For our fiction books we go to a second hand book store up the street and get them for 1/2 price of original value. Some we keep for our library and some we turn back in. So I guess I'm just waiting for the prices to come down and the kinks to be worked out. I know I'll eventually have one of some kind but for now I'm still turning paper pages.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #38
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by WandaT View Post
I definitely believe e-readers are the wave of the future. It's just much greener and such a space saver....So I guess I'm just waiting for the prices to come down and the kinks to be worked out.
I agree with you 100%.

Real books have the commissions and costs rolled in.
However, e-books have commissions and lower costs rolled in.
But the price of e-books doesn't seem to be THAT MUCH lower. I'm thinking...that the selling price of e-books will have MORE COMMISSION to spread around, and LESS cost expenditures, resulting in MORE PROFIT for their end than SAVINGS at our end.

In other words, I mean...maybe they are pushing e-books because they have doubled their profit by lowering their own cost outlay, but they don't have to pass all those savings on to the consumer.

EG: The Aviator
BOOK Retail Price: $30
Actual cost to print: $8
Profit: $22

E-Book Retail Price: $28
Actual cost to produce: 50 cents
Profit: $27.50

So even though they sell the e-book for less, they still make more profit from it's sale than the physical book.

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #39
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I agree with you 100%.

Real books have the commissions and costs rolled in.
However, e-books have commissions and lower costs rolled in.
But the price of e-books doesn't seem to be THAT MUCH lower. I'm thinking...that the selling price of e-books will have MORE COMMISSION to spread around, and LESS cost expenditures, resulting in MORE PROFIT for their end than SAVINGS at our end.

In other words, I mean...maybe they are pushing e-books because they have doubled their profit by lowering their own cost outlay, but they don't have to pass all those savings on to the consumer.

EG: The Aviator
BOOK Retail Price: $30
Actual cost to print: $8
Profit: $22

E-Book Retail Price: $28
Actual cost to produce: 50 cents
Profit: $27.50

So even though they sell the e-book for less, they still make more profit from it's sale than the physical book.
Don't forget royalties for the author...they still need to get paid for their work, even if it's an e-text!

(But I totally agree it should be way cheaper to buy an e-book than a paper book--but then I think regular books are overpriced anyway...)

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #40
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
I love my Kindle, but I've heard only good things about the Nook too. You're probably safe with either. That said, if you have a smartphone, you might try that first and save the money. I recently downloaded a free program called MobiPocket for my phone (and the Reader for the PC, to transfer books). it's great! I'm reading a book on my Blackberry right now. my mom uses the kindle app for her iPhone, but I like MobiPocket because I can read books I haven't bought through Amazon.