Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #41
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I received an interesting email from Amazon yesterday: an invitation to download KINDLE for PC (and i-Phones, as well) Both apps are FREE.

I downloaded the KINDLE for PC (very quick and painless), and within a couple minutes, I bought my first e-book! One quick click, it charged the cc I use for Amazon (Amex), and whoosh...the new book was in my Desktop Kindle Reader! (called Whispersync Beta Version)

It's very nice, and I'm reading this book with pleasure. It bookmarks my place, too!
I also downloaded a free book!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #42
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I received an interesting email from Amazon yesterday: an invitation to download KINDLE for PC (and i-Phones, as well) Both apps are FREE.
I have the app for my iPod Touch and like it. I don't want to sit at my desktop computer and read so I haven't gotten the computer one. I also have Stanza and Barnes and Noble (nook) apps.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-15-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #43
addey411
Ribbing the Cuff

The nook has a larger screen compared to most kindles.I would recommend the kindle because it has a keypad and sounds much easier to work with.But if you can download it onto your i-phone or PC I sugggest you use that software.
addey411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #44
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

My husband and I both have Kindles and we like them a lot - except that when it's gloomy out, like it was yesterday, the screen is hard to read. I ended up reading my book on my iPod Touch and my husband read his on his laptop using Kindle for PC. It was much easier reading on a device with a backlight. I'll be getting the Apple iPad in 3 weeks so I'll probably use that to read my Kindle books on.

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #45
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I have the app for my iPod Touch and like it. I don't want to sit at my desktop computer and read so I haven't gotten the computer one. I also have Stanza and Barnes and Noble (nook) apps.
Gotcha! Both of my Dell's are laptops...so I can haul them out of here and sit in my big overstuffed chair!

Mostly, I'm just grateful for the app! So I bought one book and took one free book! For sure, I'll read them when I'm stuck up in the mountains with nothin' but wind, air and sun! (this spring!) Especially after dark! The lighting isn't great for knitting (can't bring or use my OTT lite) at night, so I'm looking forward to reading my two books! I don't think it will be as great of a drain on my one battery. I might be wrong.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #46
lovemyknitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to lovemyknitting
Originally Posted by AngelaR View Post
We're very much a contrast and compare couple when it comes to tech gadgets,
I am the "techno geek" in my relationship. We have 4 different computers in the house all specific to the needs of the person whom is using it. My cell phone does everything, I do not have the iphone as we do not have that specific wireless provider but my cell phone does just about everything the iphone does. I have 2 ipods, one for just music one for just movies and I have an old ipod shuffle with just books on it! LOL I do not have a kindle or sony reader, for some odd reason I just prefer to flip through the pages. I can't explain it, my soon to be sister in law has a kindle and I don't know I just like books. But I do plan on getting the Ipad as soon as I can! LOL I told my wonderful, sweet boyfriend i wanted one for christmas!

"If you play it safe in life, you've decided that you don't want to grow anymore"
Shirley Hufstedler
OTN: Darling Buds Hoodie from Simply Knitting
OTN: Silver Belle from Vogue Knitting
lovemyknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #47
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I got my husband the Sony e-reader pocket version for his birthday and gave it to him early because I was about to murder him if he asked to use my ever in use Kindle again. The only problem is, it is not truly an e-book, but a true reader of digital media. He has a much easier time with books since he has tons that a friend gave him (thousands of titles, truly like owning your own library) and I have to take the time to find the book, convert it to the Kindle file type and then load it to the Kindle.

Now, how is this for geeky? I am seriously thinking about buying one for myself and keeping fun books on one and serious texts and scientific articles on another. Not to mention, the kids are getting theirs before summer for text books, because they pay for themselves on the first book bought.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #48
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Dollyce - did you see this? Price wars - gotta love it!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/kindle...to-surge/36066

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #49
Abbers1026
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm really wanting an e-reader and this forum has helped and confused me...lol...I'm planning on asking for it for my birthday(oct)/xmas...so I have time to decide and for some more kinks to be worked out...thanks for all the great info guys...

wanda I actually saw the price war on the news yesterday and I'm hoping they will go down just a little more

http://www.ravelry.com/people/abbers1026

OTN: cousin's afgan, baby blanket for co-worker
Abbers1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #50
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I love my nook and have 3 pdf knitting patterns downloaded. I got the extended waranty because I use it at the beach and at the pool. My one and only reason for choosing it .... my computer geek sister has one and we were on vacation together . 1. She was able to show me how to use every aspect of it. 2. Money you spend on vacation does not count. When I got home, the $50.00 gift card promotion had started, they gave me the gift card because I had made the purchase within 2 weeks. Yea! B & N .

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote