Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
cheley
Working the Gusset

Question about K4togtbl

Ok see how the twists go tog...kinda like cables right? This st is K4togtbl then K4tog...I can not for the life of me K4togtbl without dropping a st...can I take 4 off hold in back K4 then K4 off back?? Kinda like cabling?

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
No. Thats not at all what are you are doing. Thats gonna create a change in position of the stitches from right to left. You won't decrease at all, which is the point of the k4tog and the k4togtbl. The point of doing this is to lose 6 stitches in the process..that won't happen if you cable them. You're pretty much gonna have to find a way to do this. That is a pain to do though. I hate knitting things together tbl.

I think, and someone will need to correct me if I'm wrong, that you can slip the 4 stitches knitwise, then put them back on the left needle and then k4tog in place of the tbl.

Or, could you do two SSK instead of one k4togtbl.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trvvn5 For This Useful Post:
cheley (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
PelletAR
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by trvvn5 View Post
No. Thats not at all what are you are doing. Thats gonna create a change in position of the stitches from right to left. You won't decrease at all, which is the point of the k4tog and the k4togtbl. The point of doing this is to lose 6 stitches in the process..that won't happen if you cable them. You're pretty much gonna have to find a way to do this. That is a pain to do though. I hate knitting things together tbl.

I think, and someone will need to correct me if I'm wrong, that you can slip the 4 stitches knitwise, then put them back on the left needle and then k4tog in place of the tbl.

Or, could you do two SSK instead of one k4togtbl.
He's right with the cable...it wouldn't work. But you could slip them onto the cable needle and K4togtbl and k4tog right from there. The needle is smaller so it's easier to do it.

I'm not sure about the SSK or the slipping though.
PelletAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by PelletAR View Post
He's right with the cable...it wouldn't work. But you could slip them onto the cable needle and K4togtbl and k4tog right from there. The needle is smaller so it's easier to do it.

I'm not sure about the SSK or the slipping though.
Please explain....work all 8 sts on another needle or 4?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

I use a crochet hook to pull the yarn thru. Then slide that loop onto my knitting needle. It is easier for me to get the working yarn thru all 4 stitches that way without dropping any. Or mangling the yarn.

The knit4tog is the right leaning point. And the knit4tog thru back is the left leaning one.

If you-" take 4 off hold in back K4 then K4 off back" you will get a cable twist. Might be pretty but won't look the same. And won't work the same in the pattern because a knit4tog is a decrease of 3 stitches.
Abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Abby123 View Post
I use a crochet hook to pull the yarn thru. Then slide that loop onto my knitting needle. It is easier for me to get the working yarn thru all 4 stitches that way without dropping any. Or mangling the yarn.

The knit4tog is the right leaning point. And the knit4tog thru back is the left leaning one.

If you-" take 4 off hold in back K4 then K4 off back" you will get a cable twist. Might be pretty but won't look the same. And won't work the same in the pattern because a knit4tog is a decrease of 3 stitches.
Awww great idea!! Umm after "pondering" that technique "all night", I can't seem to "work it out" in my head..how to you actually Knit the loop once it's off the needle?

Last edited by cheley : 02-24-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I do that very thing for anything more than K2tog. I'm not talented enough.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

Cheley, pretend the crochet hook is the knitting needle. You slide the tip thru in the same way you would if it were a needle. Then loop the yarn over it, the same direction as if it were a needle. Then pull toward yourself, catching the loop of working yarn in the hook. Then slide this loop onto the right hand needle.
Abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
cheley
Working the Gusset

Cheley, pretend the crochet hook is the knitting needle. You slide the tip thru in the same way you would if it were a needle. Then loop the yarn over it, the same direction as if it were a needle. Then pull toward yourself, catching the loop of working yarn in the hook. Then slide this loop onto the right hand needle.
Gotcha..Awesome..Thanks you

Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
MGM
Turning the Heel

I was going to suggest the crochet hook as well. It's a necessary tool for the knitter's project bag!

That's a lovely pattern you are working on BTW.

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote