Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Harmony straight needles?
I'm considering order a couple of Harmony straight needles for scarves, etc. I've read posts from several of you raving about the Harmonys, but can you tell me what's so great about them over regular needles (besides the fact they're absolutely gorgeous!)? If you didn't want to order the entire set, what's a good general scarf-knitting size (ie what are most scarves knit on)? Thanks for any info you can give me. I don't usually use wood needles because the yarn seems to drag, but the addi turbos are getting on my nerves for scarves because the cord gets in the way.
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by pbs View Post
I'm considering order a couple of Harmony straight needles for scarves, etc. I've read posts from several of you raving about the Harmonys, but can you tell me what's so great about them over regular needles (besides the fact they're absolutely gorgeous!)? If you didn't want to order the entire set, what's a good general scarf-knitting size (ie what are most scarves knit on)? Thanks for any info you can give me. I don't usually use wood needles because the yarn seems to drag, but the addi turbos are getting on my nerves for scarves because the cord gets in the way.
Yes they are beautiful to look at...also very pointy, very light and very smooth I own US 10. It just depends on the "yarn" I also own plastic straights and aluminum..The harmony worked well for me with a merino blend lace yarn...I made a lacy scarf..It's posted (awhile back) under "Whatcha Knitting"..

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
I don't own a set of my own, but I have noticed that on this site, and other, there have been a lot of people who seem to have problems with the joins disconnecting. KP is apparently very good about replacing them though.

If you do a search you might be able to find some of the previous reviews.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I've not used the Harmony straights, as I pretty much do everything on circulars now. However, the Harmony interchangeables are great. They knit almost as fast the nickle-plated ones. I love them!
I would imagine the wood is the same on both straights and circs.

As to what size...what size do you normally use for your scarves? I find that it always depends on what yarn I use. Different patterns call for different yarns, which mean different needles....which is why I got the interchangeable set.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by trvvn5 View Post
I don't own a set of my own, but I have noticed that on this site, and other, there have been a lot of people who seem to have problems with the joins disconnecting. KP is apparently very good about replacing them though.

If you do a search you might be able to find some of the previous reviews.
Umm she asked about "straights"...they don't "connect"...

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I don't have a set of straights but I do have the interchangeables and fixed circulars. I love them and have used them on all kinds of yarn. As far as what size to get, it does depend a lot on what kind of yarn you use but and 8 or 9 would probably be fine. Check out the patterns you are interested in and see what they recommend.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lelvsdgs For This Useful Post:
pbs (02-24-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
AniseRN
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Yes they are beautiful to look at...also very pointy, very light and very smooth...
I have some Harmony DPNs. Yes, they are very pointy! That was helpful when doing a pattern stitch where I had to sneak into a tight spot, but not so helpful when working a pattern of just knit and purl. (I'm a newly resumed knitter, becoming a sock fiend.) So now I have a set of harmony dpns and also 2 sets of bamboo, which are less pointy and I like except when I need the pointyness!

Anise
AniseRN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AniseRN For This Useful Post:
pbs (02-24-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #8
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

I've never knit with Harmony needles. So my comments apply to needles in general.

I find that needles need to meet 2 criteria. First, they need to work with the yarn. With wools, you need a slicker needle. With glossy synthectics, a more "grippy" one. The needles need to match the yarn. Second, the needles need to feel "right" for your style to knitting. Here the only answer is to use them & see if they feel "right."

Knitting is very tactile. Go to a yarn store & try out the options. Choose something that works for you.
Abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abby123 For This Useful Post:
pbs (02-24-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

I think you're right about the fiber you're using--that probably explains why I have so much trouble with the bamboo ones, particularly when I'm working with wool. They are just too "gripy". The needles I really like are the addi turbos but the point is "dull" and I finally just gave up on k2gether. I just CANNOT get the needle under that 2nd stitch, so I though maybe the pointy Harmonys would help. Any other suggestions on how to k2gether?
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
AniseRN
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by pbs View Post
... but the point is "dull" and I finally just gave up on k2gether. I just CANNOT get the needle under that 2nd stitch, so I though maybe the pointy Harmonys would help.
Based on my experience, the harmony tips REALLY help getting into the K2tog.

Anise
AniseRN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AniseRN For This Useful Post:
pbs (02-25-2010)