Old 02-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
slatour
Casting On

Need help - Trying to knit baby layette cardigan from Knitting for Dummies
I am absolutely confused by this pattern, and its supposed to be easy! I am just learning to knit and have done the booties and hat already, so I'd like to get the matching cardigan done.

You can google these instructions and find the compete instructions if you need to see them to help me. It starts on page 288, but my problem area is on page 289.

The instructions say to cast on 50 sts and then knit in garter to 9 inches, which I have done with no problem. Then it says after this,
Row 1: knit 30 and turn. Row 2: Bind off 15 sts k to end of row. (This is to shape the neck to create shoulders).

My question is, what do I do after I turn after the 30 sts in row 1, I am in the middle of the row at this point? Do I immediately start the row 2 instructions and bind of 15? I didn't think you could start a new row in the middle of an existing row.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
slatour is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, you turn and BO the sts and knit to the end of the row. Probably the row after that will have you cast on stitches and knit the sts that got left behind before.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
slatour (02-27-2010)
Old 02-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
slatour
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yes, you turn and BO the sts and knit to the end of the row. Probably the row after that will have you cast on stitches and knit the sts that got left behind before.
Hi, sorry, I am still a bit confused. The next - Row 3 says to knit, not cast on stiches?.. Then row 4 says to bind off 15 sts, k to end of row. then, work in garter st until back measures about 10 inches. Bind off shoulder sts. Pick up remaining sts and repeat shaping from row 3 for the second shoulder (what does it mean by pick up the remaining sts?).

I really don't understand these directons and have alreay had to rip out my work to just before row 1 to start again. I don't want to have to do this again, so I'd rather take it slow and get clearer instructions on how to move forward. Your instructions are much more clear. I will write them in my book or print them off if possible.
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

One thing I forgot to ask - is it a pullover or cardigan? It's probably open in front so you wouldn't be knitting a full row again, but working each side separately. If you follow the directions step by step you'll get it right.

Row 1: knit 30 and turn. Leave the rest of the sts on the needle or put them on a holder, you'll get to them later.
Row 2: Bind off 15 sts k to end of row.
Row 3 knit (to where you turned before)
row 4 bind off 15 sts, k to end of row. Just like Row 2, BO another 15 sts and finish the row. This makes the neck shaping.

Continue on just these stitches for 10" and that will be one front, and BO those sts. Then go back to the other sts still sitting on the needle that you didn't work on row 1. Start with a new yarn end BO 15 sts and knit to the end of the row. Turn and work back to the middle, then turn and BO another 15 sts and work to the end of the row. Then keep working on these sts for 10".

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (05-31-2010)
Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
slatour
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
One thing I forgot to ask - is it a pullover or cardigan? It's probably open in front so you wouldn't be knitting a full row again, but working each side separately. If you follow the directions step by step you'll get it right.

Row 1: knit 30 and turn. Leave the rest of the sts on the needle or put them on a holder, you'll get to them later.
Row 2: Bind off 15 sts k to end of row.
Row 3 knit (to where you turned before)
row 4 bind off 15 sts, k to end of row. Just like Row 2, BO another 15 sts and finish the row. This makes the neck shaping.

Continue on just these stitches for 10" and that will be one front, and BO those sts. Then go back to the other sts still sitting on the needle that you didn't work on row 1. Start with a new yarn end BO 15 sts and knit to the end of the row. Turn and work back to the middle, then turn and BO another 15 sts and work to the end of the row. Then keep working on these sts for 10".
Yes it is a cardigan. It is open in the front and closes with either a ribbon or I-cord tie. It is made in basically 5 separate pieces, the back, two front pieces and two sleeves. Thank you for your help I am going to take it slowly step by step by the book with your instructions as well and if I get stuck I will reply or post again. Our first baby is due at the end of August, so I have lots of time to get it right.
The Following User Says Thank You to slatour For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (05-31-2010)
Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
slatour
Casting On

Need help now with the sleeves (increasing) please
Hi, I am finally on the sleeves of the baby cardigan from the Knitting for Dummies book and the instructions say "Inc at each every 4th row until you have 55 sts". Does this mean on that 4th row, I just knit to the end of the row and then increase by 1 at the end that row, and continue doing this on every 4th row until I have 55 sts? i.e. by using a yo or other type of m1 as the inc at the end of the row? It does not tell me by how many to inc, so I just assume it means inc by 1. Can you provide me with a step-by-step simple instruction? Thanks so much!!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Either they left out a word or you overlooked it. That should be "Inc at each end every 4th row until you have 55 sts". There's an inc at both the beg and end of every 4th row. Do not use a YO, do a M1 or kfb and you can put it one or 2 sts in from the edge so it will be easier to seam the sleeve.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (05-31-2010), slatour (05-29-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
slatour
Casting On

Baby Cardigan (kimono style) shoulder shaping question
Hi, thanks for all your help with the other baby cardigan. It is done, although not perfect..it looks pretty good!

I am now working on a free Bernat baby cardigan pattern #99000600445 and just want to be sure I understand the instructions correctly before proceeding with the shoulder shaping. Probably a stupid question, but I want to be sure so I don't have to back track. It is all in garter stitch.

(A) After I've shaped the front ("v" on one side, straight edge on other and ending with a RS row) the instructions say:

(1) "Shape armhole: cast off 7 sts beg of next row. 24 sts"
(2) "Dec 1 st at front edge on every following 4th row from previous dec to 12 sts. Cont even until armhole measures 4 3/4 ins ending with a RS row. Cast off"

Some context: After shaping the front (A) above, my finished work is on the left hand needle (ready to knit) with the "v" side at the starting point. Am I correct to assume that I have to knit another row to get to the straight edge and it is at the begining of this straight edge that I would cast off 7 sts and then knit to end of row ending at the "v" side ready to start the decreases per the next instructions (2) above? I know the armhole should be shaped on the straight edge, but the instructions don't say when to continue the knitting.

Also, I don't know why they say RS row when the pattern says that you have to do 2 the same...if you do 2 the same, I would think that at the end, one of them would need to have the WS facing out for the other side of the chest.

Thanks!
Sarah
Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

When you do the other side of the front you do put some of the shaping on the WS rows. The cast off will have to be done on the WS, but the decs can all be done on the RS rows. When you do the final cast off it will also have to be done at the beg of a WS row, so ignore mention about ending on a RS for the other shoulder. The pattern probably says 'reverse all shaping' for the second piece, and that's what is meant - BO on WS rows and do the decs at the beg of the rows instead of the end of them.

I don't believe the armhole is going to have decs on it, just the BO, the decs are done at the V neck edge.