Old 02-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
newknitter316
Casting On

circular or DPNs for a hat pattern
Hi! I have only knit 2 very basic scarves, and now I'd like to try some more difficult things, but I've never used a pattern before. I'd really like to try this hat:

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/freeKn...ySlouchHat.asp

But I'm confused - it says I need both circular and double pointed needles, but not when to use them. Which do I start with and when do I switch?

I *think* I can figure the rest of it out. That's just the part I'm most confused by right now.

Please help! Thanks!
newknitter316 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

You start the hat by casting on using the circular needles, and switch to the DPNs when shaping the crown of the hat. The pattern doesn't seem to specify when to switch, so it likely doesn't matter ... I would switch to the DPNs once I had decreased to the point where it was getting difficult to use the circulars. DPNs are much easier when knitting a small circumference in the round and will make it much easier to finish the top of the hat once you are down to a few stitches.

Good luck!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
newknitter316 (02-28-2010)
Old 02-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Once the number of stitches gets too small to fit comfortably around the circular, you switch to the dpns. Or add a 2nd circ and use both, or use a longer one and magic loop with it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I usually use DPNs to start out and finish, I put it on a 16" circ once I've done the first row of increases.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
insp30305
Ribbing the Cuff

Depends on whether the hat is made from the brim up or the crown down. Usually if it's crown down, the pattern will say something like "cast on XXX stitches evenly spread over 3 needles" or something. If yours doesn't, start with the circulars as previously said.
insp30305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Rosey2376
Ribbing the Cuff

Or you can just do it all on DPNs, as long as all the stitches fit on. I like DPNs, and you can buy longer ones.
Rosey2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
I usually go from a 16 inch circ to two circular needles if possible, but I have used DPNs, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
sheba
Casting On

hat pattern
Hi, I am a beginner knitter also. I have been knitting whenever I get a free moment for a little over a year now and I really enjoy it. I too started with a few basic scarves went to a cable knit. An this year I found myself miraculously finishing a cable knit scarf I gave to my mother. I got brave and wanted to try a basic hat pattern I got a little discouraged towards the top so I patched it up + i will put it in my bag. I don't give up that is for sure. Since a couple of weeks ago I learned how to use double point needles. Very exciting ! I started out practicing and then turned it into a doll hat for my daughter. She loves it. An this is why I am sending you this link. I would like to start this hat pattern anytime. I just have to ask if you think I could use DPN'S from the beginning to end ? I think I was reading under your question you could. But I am not sure an I don't want to begin this new project if i'm not sure. Now that I know how to decrease + get it done right. I thought I had better ask. Good luck on your pattern. Now that I know how to use DPN'S I don't want to use circulars if I don't have to. You know ? why use them and switch over to DPN'S in the middle if you can just work all the way through on DPN'S. I am interested in hearing about any tips you have to share.
Let me know what you think about the hat pattern o.k Still very basic but very beautiful ! I liked the you posted you had a question about. sheba
sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can also work a hat on circular needles without switching to dpns. Look in the Advanced Techniques page for Magic Loop. You use a longer needle to do this.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote