Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
origami
Ribbing the Cuff

Magic Loop Socks
Knitting the cuff, no problem Knitting the heel flap, easy. Turning the heel, no problem. Picking up gusset stitches, got it. The problem is figuring out how to distribute the stitches on the circular. It makes sense that all the instep stitches would be on one needle and the gusset stitches will be on the other. Now it's time to do the decreases, but I just can't quite get this to work. Seems like THIS part makes more sense on DPNS. I've knit socks on four DPNS before and understand the anatomy of a sock etc., but I'm finding this part of working the Magic Loop really confusing. Where do you split up so that you have the long length of the cable needle? HELP!
origami is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Boy, you've got me stumped. I always do socks on DPNs for that very reason.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
origami
Ribbing the Cuff

Strongly considering knitting the cuff with ML and then swapping over to DPNS for the rest of the sock. I really DO like knitting that cuff on the magic loop, but am not so thrilled with the ML for the rest of the sock. Sort of like knitting a hat on circs and then swapping over to the DPNS to do the real work!
The Following User Says Thank You to origami For This Useful Post:
Minne2 (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Minne2
Casting On

Origami, thanks a good idea about switching needle sets 1/2 way thru. When I been using the ML, sometimes I feel like I spend more time slipping the around the loops than actually knitting.
Minne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Now it's time to do the decreases, but I just can't quite get this to work.

This is how I work the decreases:
The instep stitches are on one needle and held in the back (#2).
All other stitches are on the other needle and held in front (#1).
On the right side, between the two needle tips, I place a safety pin to help me keep track of the beginning of the round.
Work one round without decreasing (this round and every other round until decreasing is finished).
On the next round with #1 (k1, ssk, k across the needle stopping with three stitches left, k2T, k1) now to #2 work pattern.
Continue as started until the number of needles on #1 are the same as on #2, or you have the same amount prior to working the heel.

I keep notes while doing the decrease rounds because I sometimes have trouble reading my knitting. It is harder for me if the yarn is a dark color. I hope this helps. For me ML is quicker because you don't have to keep stopping to change DPN's and I have no trouble with ladders either.

Last edited by Lighting57 : 03-03-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lighting57 For This Useful Post:
origami (03-03-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #6
origami
Ribbing the Cuff

I think you mean the number of stitches, not the number of needles. :-) Hopefully, there's just one needle! But I think this is the clearest explanation I've gotten and I've been searching Ravelry and through all my books. If I understand correctly, one half is instep, the other half is the gusset and you start with the decrease and end with the decrease.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I only do socks on circulars and prefer ML. I'm not very proficient in sock knitting so I have to use a pattern. I know there are some sock knitters who have made so many socks that they have the formula down and can make a pair without benefit of instructions but that is not me!

I found this pattern for ML 2 at a time socks very easy to follow. Maybe if you took a look at it it would help you figure out your dilemna.

2 at a time ML socks

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Have you looked at Kelly's Sock Class on youtube? They are in sections and very helpful.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (03-04-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Kelly's Sock Class and Sable's Sock Class have been such a help to me and I have them hotkeyed on my toolbar for quick reference as it seems I am always knitting socks. I'm one of those that have done so many socks that I have a basic pattern set in my head and just knit from there and improvise at will (don't ask me about my first cable socks, it's embarassing).

I still knit them on DPNs, as it helps me keep track of where I am, especially if I am making them specifically for someone, rather than just a pair of self-striping for the kids or charity. In other words, I do it so I don't have to think about what I'm doing while I'm doing it.

I may do magic loop for casting on and the cuff since that is my least favorite part of knitting a sock. I hate Hate HATE it. Once I get past that part I'm good.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
origami
Ribbing the Cuff

The problem I have with these tutorials is that they all are for 2 at a time on ML and right now, I just want to do 1 at a time on ML. I know, the point of ML is to be able to do 2 at once, but I just want to work on 1 at a time. It's all my brain can handle at this point and for some reason, when I have to be thinking Sock B and Sock A, it confuses me. I know that if I have the process figured out for one, then I will have the process figured out for 2. I think that Lighting57 explained it in a way that makes sense to me. Going to try again today!