Old 03-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Artlady WIPS
I'm cranking away at three patterns at the moment. I don't know why I do this, because I used to have total tunnel vision! I wouldn't cast on for a sweater til the other one was done! Or at least, blocking!

I'm seaming up YANK tonight. All the pieces are finally blocked and totally dry. The coat fits like 'double breasted'! I love it!

I cast on for the Tweedy Aran Cardigan (by Norah Gaughan).
Also hosting a KAL for it over at Rav. Official Cast On Day: April 1st.
Most of the knitters are getting their yarn in the month of March, swatching,
and finishing up loose ends for other projects.

I just finished swatching (one for st st gauge, and one for pattern stitch called 'double garter stitch')
for the Kerrera Cardigan. FINALLY figured out how to work 'double garter stitch! (used as the hem, cuffs, pocket trim and all bands!)

May cast on for it tonight after YANK is seamed.

Frogged the Alaska Cardigan and re-used the red tweed immediately (for YANK). It was ginormous on me. Nothing about the fit was acceptable. The red tweed was too precious to waste. I won't re-knit the Alaska. I found a better design that isn't raglan sleeves (which don't have the support; they are more easily pulled south by the weight of the coat). The Faery Ring Cardigan hoodie is a much better design! Ordered Black Water Abbey wool for it.

Frogged 80% of the Kimono Cardigancuz I ran out of yarn.
Will re-knit it for sure, and shorten the sleeves by 4" and that should get me the extra yardage needed to finish the Right Front. Oy. It's knit all in one piece, so I had to yank out the two fronts and the sleeves. The yarn is discontinued. But, even if I could get the yarn, the sleeves were too long. It's the design. It pulls on shoulders and 'no seams' allowed the sleeves to grow!

So that's what I'm doing. Three WIPS, one in hibernation, and one is a total BUST.

Next project: a KAL for the Blackberry Cabled Cardigan!
And the Waterlily Sideways Cardigan by K. Zimmerman!

NOTE: all projects are in the Ravelry pattern database

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-05-2010 at 06:57 AM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

These are all very lovely projects.

I read in another of your post that you prefer to make the different pieces and seam them together instead of working all in one, like top down raglans. Could you answer a few questions for me?

When making the different pieces, what type of selvedge edge do you work? What type of seaming do you use or do you use different methods depending on the garment? Do you have any advice to share? Thank you.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
starlight
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh how I wish I could knit like you!! Your work is amazing!
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starlight For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
I am with Starlight. I wish I had half of your skill! You knit the most beautiful things.
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belphoebe For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
These are all very lovely projects.

I read in another of your post that you prefer to make the different pieces and seam them together instead of working all in one, like top down raglans. Could you answer a few questions for me?

When making the different pieces, what type of selvage edge do you work? What type of seaming do you use or do you use different methods depending on the garment? Do you have any advice to share? Thank you.

I always use the 'garter stitch' selvage edge. It's worked as a "knit stitch" on both WS and RS.

I only use mattress seaming.

My only tidbit of advice for a knitter that is new to 'garment' knitting: follow the pattern. Don't take short cuts. Don't knit "in the round" to avoid seaming. Don't knit the fronts and back as one piece to avoid seaming, if the pattern says to knit the Fronts and Back as separates. Follow directions.

Swatch. Don't take short cuts in this department.

Block your pieces.

EG: I blocked the 7 pieces of my YANK Peacoat. Tonight, I seamed the shoulders, seamed the sides, and seamed the sleeves, cuz the pattern gave that sequence. But now, before I seam the sleeves into the coat, I'm once again blocking. I've laid out the coat (the Fronts and Back are seamed at the sides and shoulders) flat, and I've laid soppy wet terry cloths onto the side seams. This will flatten them more, and make a more professional 'appearance'.

Anyway, if you are a Raveler, take a peek in at my KAL's over at Ravelry. I've included dozens (maybe more) of garment knitting tips. True, some of them are specific to the project, but many of them are applicable to any knitted garment!

Twist KAL
Clasica Coat KAL
Tweedy Aran KAL

The Knitalongs are very well organized for each subject pertaining to the project, so if you are looking for (example) seaming tips, click on the subject: SEAMING.

And thanks for the compliment, in asking my advice for anything! I appreciate your kind words, and your confidence in my knitting.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-04-2010 at 05:37 AM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Doublereeder2 (03-04-2010), etoilechaude (03-04-2010), jberry16 (03-06-2010), Sewing Angel (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Wow!! I know I sound like a broken record ... but I really do wanna be you when I grow up!!! You are amazing!

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Great stuff! I love the Blackberry Cabled Cardigan ... I'll be interested to take a look at your KAL on that one, as I've been wanting to knit this cardigan for myself. I'm a little concerned about the complexity though ... I noticed there are short rows in the pattern, which i haven't done before. We'll see ... maybe I'll be able to do it with your KAL notes to follow!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

(I always use the 'garter stitch' selvage edge. It's worked as a "knit stitch" on both WS and RS.)

Above, are you referring to the selvedges along the garment pieces? I just want to be sure you aren't talking about the front and left buttonbands.

Do you mean that you knit the first and last stitch in each row?

Thank you for your time and advice.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
margz3
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by WandaT View Post
Wow!! I know I sound like a broken record ... but I really do wanna be you when I grow up!!! You are amazing!
Hear hear!!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote