Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

WHY do pattern books use yarns that are hard-to-find???????
I am SOOOOOOOO frustrated. I recently found a couple of sweater patterns I want to knit from a library book. All fine and dandy. UNTIL I took a look at the recommended yarn.

The yarns for both patterns are either:

1. Waaaaaayy too expensive
2. Too hard to find

Why don't authors/designers use yarns that I can find at local craft stores (A C Moore/Michaels, etc.....)??????????? The recommended yarns are Colinette Point 5 and Classic Elite Tigress. Are there pattern books out there that use "regular" yarns for "regular" people???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitcindy For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (03-07-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
You don't have to use the yarn they indicate. You can use any yarn you want to, so long as you stick to the weight and general feel of the yarn. I adjust yarn requirements all the time for things. One of the best things you will do for yourself is to learn about yarn. Its tedious and there is a lot of stuff to learn about it, but in the end it makes substituting so much easier.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I agree with trvvn5...I've been knitting for 3-4 years now, and I don't think I've EVER made anything in the recommended yarn Okay...I did made some dishclothes in sugar 'n cream...but beyond that, i researched a bit and use yarndex.com, figure out weight and content and get something cheaper every time.

My dh is a great guy and has no problem with my knitting habit...but I think even he'd blow a gasket if I made a $200 sweater!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Have you considered buying your yarns from online sources? There are many websites that sell reasonably priced, higher quality yarns.

Here are a few:

Little Knits -- they have some wonderful sales on pricey yarn and some is available in full bags (of 10 skeins)

Elann -- I have to admit to never having bought anything from them but have browsed their site and looked through their pattern selection.

Webs -- I haven't bought a lot from them but the more you buy, the bigger the discount.

Knit Picks -- they have a good selection of their own yarns at very reasonable prices with great customer service.

I've never done it, but there are yarn sellers on Ebay as well.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Abby123 (03-07-2010)
Old 03-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Northknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
I am SOOOOOOOO frustrated. I recently found a couple of sweater patterns I want to knit from a library book. All fine and dandy. UNTIL I took a look at the recommended yarn.

The yarns for both patterns are either:

1. Waaaaaayy too expensive
2. Too hard to find

Why don't authors/designers use yarns that I can find at local craft stores (A C Moore/Michaels, etc.....)??????????? The recommended yarns are Colinette Point 5 and Classic Elite Tigress. Are there pattern books out there that use "regular" yarns for "regular" people???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
knitcindy
You have put it into words what I find so frustrating. I go with my pattern to shop for yarn and then leave empty handed. Not great at knowing gauge mathematics. Also frustrated.
Northknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

If you are on Ravelry, you can search for your project and see what yarns other knitters have made it from and what it looks like when it's done. You can get some really great ideas that way.

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I think the reason that some of these books have these outragous yarn requirements is because the knitter has a vested interest in the yarn. Whether it be a connection getting them this yarn, or maybe being sponsored by said yarn...or even just the simple fact that some ppl are yarn snobs. In some cases, I am sure it is about availability. A book is generated in a certain country, and that yarn is expensive to us here...but maybe not so much where they are.

Yeah...in the end, I really only pay attention to gauge, unless there is some sort of funky yarn involved (like eyelash)

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I rarely use the yarn recommended for a pattern if I can find the same kind of yarn in a colorway I enjoy cheaper somewhere. And sometimes it's nearly impossible to find the color of the recommended yarn (Hello, Tiptoe Through the Tulip Socks) So I checked around, found another yarn that was cheaper, more available, and had more colors that offered by Regia in the states.

Then I called a relative in Holland and asked her to pick me up some and bring with with her in May. Check the weight of the recommended yarn, then look around.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
Once I have knit with a yarn purchased at a lys, I have had good luck buying off of ebay. (I am tactile and need to know how the yarn feels first before I buy it online.) I typically only buy sock yarn though, but have had great luck with the sellers I have dealt with. As others have said, learning about yarn is as important as learning how to knit. I rarely use the same yarns recommended unless I buy a kit.
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
I don't think I've ever used a yarn suggested by a pattern at least intentionally. There will be a gauge on the yarn so find a similar yarn with the same gauge and you're good to go.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote