Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

What is your favorite yarn?
Excluding the fact that certain yarns are better for some projects than others, what is your favorite yarn to work with and why is it your favorite? Softness? Easy to work with? Colors?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I'm a total n0ob but so far, I like Vanna White yarn, it seems less...fuzzy or something than Red Heart. Never could find the centre pull on the blue VW yarn I'm currently using though.
N0obKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

I guess I have favorite yarns for different types of projects. I really like Patons Classic Wool Merino for sweaters to be handwashed and for felting. I prefer machine washable for sweaters and items to be washed often like socks so that would be Encore Worsted or DK that is still partially wool. Patons Decor is good too. I really like Patons Kroy Socks for machine washable fingering weight socks. They are reasonably priced for those on a budget like myself but not extremely low priced either. I do use other yarns, like the bulky Lopi I am knitting a sweater with or the Red Heart SS I just finished an afghan with.
borealowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
When knnitting for my daughter, anything washable....but probably her favorite is Lion Brand's Wool Ease. She says it is soft and pretty. My favorite sock yarn comes from Lorna's Laces, the colors are just so pretty! The longer I knit, the less I like knitting with acrylic yarns...they squeak on my needles and it drives me nuts. I guess I am a wool woman!
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Over the years I've made lots of baby gifts, so I've used numerous washable acrylics. Usually something by Patons or Bernat, never had it squeak or feel icky.

My current favourite yarn is James C. Brett Marble Chunky, just made a scarf from it. Great colours, and so soft!!
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

When it comes to worsted weight acrylic, I love Vanna's Choice. And when it comes to bulky, I adore Permium's Serenity. My goodness, you could lose yourself in that softness. And for sock weight yarn, I will admit this only under torture, but I do prefer Red Heart self-striping to just about any other sock yarn I've used.

I did just do a cloche style hat in Nob Hill's Alpaca Charm and fell immediately in love with it's softness. The colors I got were pretty brilliant too.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Raven Fyre
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to Raven Fyre
For just about anything I love barrett worseted cotton (hope I spelled that correctly). My son loves the washable chellien (spelled wrong I'm sure) I can't remember who its by but its $9 for one spool so I don't get to use it often. I'm also quickly becoming a fan of bamboo blends, and Chunky arycilics aren't bad I use them for scarves unforchantanly for me I'm allergic to wool it breaks me out and I itch so I can't use it:(
Those are my favorites.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
For run of the mill, commercial yarn, it would have to be Patons Classic Wool for sure! Just some really nice stuff there...at a decent cost.

As for material, I like wool and Alpaca, but I have started liking the mohair blended with wool I can get at Wellington Fibres. They raise Angora goats, and do all their stuff locally. It is really nice stuff!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Although I'm too sensitive to wear it I adore Plymouth Encore. The colors are beautiful and many and I like knitting with it. I use a lot for charity projects that don't require wool.

I made myself a sweater with James C Brett Marble Chunky and I love it! It's a little fuzzy, but it was easy to knit with and it's pretty.

I never noticed squeaking with acrylic. I think it must be the way some people knit or possibly a different needle type. Anyway, I like Carons Simply Soft and Red Heart SOFT (not super saver..hate that stuff).

I like a lot of wools, but I just can't wear them.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Anyway, I like Carons Simply Soft and Red Heart SOFT (not super saver..hate that stuff).
I whole heartedly agree!!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote