Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

OT: Generalized Anxiety
I have GAD (have had it for years,) I kinda manage most of the time but when the stressload ramps up, so does the GAD. I think I've been having panic attacks for the past few weeks, weird tingling etc. Very annoying. My classes are stressing me the fudge out, too. Exams, essays, presentation, debates blah blah. It never ends.

I am moving to Denver at the end of August so the fretting over what to pack and what to leave behind/how to forward stuff/omg it's $$$ etc ad nauseam is making me wiggy, too.

I just needed to vent, eh? Thanks for listening. Anybody else with GAD, I totally, totally understand.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I don't have it, but here's a hug!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
sprig
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to sprig
i have alot of anxiety all the time... i have to come up with ways to deal with it cause i dont like the idea of dulling myself down with pills .. and i dont like most of the side effects that go along with most perscriptions... it takes some effort but i find that i have to take things one step at a time ... and start with easy things and not try to take one every thing at once. i make alot of lists too cause if i find that i forget something my whole day is wrecked with anxiety after that... i also have to plan time for relaxing every day or i lose my mind... personally i need time to myself in the morning before my day starts about 30mins then about an hr before i go to sleep... im sorry youre feeling overwhelmed but it sounds like you have alot going on and i totally understand i hope you get it figured out in the end. i wish you the best of luck
sprig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Although I have not been clinically diagnosed with anything, I am pretty sure I am agoraphobic.

"Agoraphobia (from Greek aγορά, "marketplace"; and φόβος/φοβία, -phobia) is an anxiety disorder, traditionally thought to involve a fear of public places and open spaces."

Not so much the open spaces, but very much so public places. I can get my self out to one, but if I can't visually map my way out of somewhere, or I am being crowded in, I generally feel quite paniced. There are also certain places in my peripherals that I can't have ppl standing in, specifically over my shoulders. I feel very tense particularily when someone is over my right shoulder. *shrugs*

As a result, I am more likely to have ppl come to me, rather than feeling ok with going to see ppl. Home is my refuge. I do go out to things, but I really have to want to go, or need something. I don't really find myself in places "just for the heck of it" unless I know the place I want to go will have plenty of elbow room.

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
knitternmom
Casting On

Originally Posted by Crycket View Post
Although I have not been clinically diagnosed with anything, I am pretty sure I am agoraphobic.

"Agoraphobia (from Greek aγορά, "marketplace"; and φόβος/φοβία, -phobia) is an anxiety disorder, traditionally thought to involve a fear of public places and open spaces."

Not so much the open spaces, but very much so public places. I can get my self out to one, but if I can't visually map my way out of somewhere, or I am being crowded in, I generally feel quite paniced. There are also certain places in my peripherals that I can't have ppl standing in, specifically over my shoulders. I feel very tense particularily when someone is over my right shoulder. *shrugs*

As a result, I am more likely to have ppl come to me, rather than feeling ok with going to see ppl. Home is my refuge. I do go out to things, but I really have to want to go, or need something. I don't really find myself in places "just for the heck of it" unless I know the place I want to go will have plenty of elbow room.

I suffered severe agoraphobia as a teen after I saw my grandmother pass away. I wouldn't leave the house at all for many months and when i did I would have really bad panic/anxiety. I am much better as an adult but I still struggle with wanting to go out versus staying at home. And when I do go out I HATE large crowds and I need that "ecape route" as well. I need to know I can leave when I want to and where the restroom is to retreat to if needed. I also hate bridges because you can't just pull over like if you are on a regular road. I still have problems with anxiety from time to time and will have a panic attack if, for example, I am in line at a store and have to wait long periods and there are people behind me and i don't feel like I can leave without a lot of people noticing, if I need to!
knitternmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I can't stand crowded buses/trains/feeling trapped either.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Mike
Working the Gusset

Not GAD but PD.

When I'm in major panic mode I think PD is worse. But judging from my sister's friend with GAD I'd say it's worse overall.
At least I get to have a happy place. Seems her friend had no relief.

Since GAD is more an all the time thing I imagine the "all the time" SSRIs would be good for it, but for PD I really wish doctors would get off their kick against Xanax. I don't need to take a drug 24/7 for something that happens once in a while and lasts a short while if it's stopped.
The only time I got totally unfunctional was waiting 3 months while the doctors dragged their feet trying different drugs that did nothing to stop the panic.

If you're into group therapy this site may help. http://www.panicsurvivor.com/
It helped me a little (it's what got me crocheting) but eventually the group talk on the forums started convincing me of new problems. Like I never thought of being trapped on a plane having a panic attack before, once I read that I figured there is no way I'll ever fly again unless I'm totally zonked on Xanax. Before that I probably could've got away with my 1/2 pill to get out of the house and something to occupy my mind on the flight.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by knitternmom View Post
I need to know I can leave when I want to and where the restroom is to retreat to if needed.

in line at a store and have to wait long periods and there are people behind me and i don't feel like I can leave without a lot of people noticing, if I need to!
Yeah...I totally get that...although I have to say, mine isn't quite so bad. I am not bad for bridges, but I can't do a plane.

I totally hear you on the lines though. I have a problem with ppl behind me. Actually, I have noticed where I seat myself in less familiar places...or anywhere really...I need to have my back at a wall. I don't like when ppl can walk behind me. Different when I am at home, with my hubby.

It is good it is the electronic age though...I am more likely to purchase something on line rather than in person....although I do enjoy grocery shopping, but we do have to go at the least busy times...!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Flying doesn't bother me so much, but being crammed like a sardine on a bus makes me sweat bullets.

I also probably have PTSD.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitternmom View Post
I need to know I can leave when I want to and where the restroom is to retreat to if needed.
I didn't catch that before. Yes you need to have a layout of the bathroom plan.
It's amazing how these things are similar with people.

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
I also probably have PTSD.
In case there's confusion my "PD" is Panic Disorder. Anxiety about having panic attacks. A vicious circle.

The panic thing runs in my family so if there was something to link the anxiety to it would probably be more for something to blame.
My brother said he had an attack going to Karate, he's been going to Karate for over 30 years so I doubt if it was anxiety because of Karate.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote