Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I had the GAD before I ever had a panic attack, though I'm 99% sure I've had PTSD for years (didn't know there was a name for that before.) I think the PTSD led to the GAD and lions and tigers and bears oh my! lol

Couple months ago, PTSD was roaring. I was having nightmares every night (I tend to have many nightmares, rarely "nice" ones) then I started having such terrifying dreams I was waking up from them. Ugh!!!

Seeing certain things in movies can trigger it, I noticed. Trigger bad dreams etc.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I've had PTSD for most of my life, and also GAD part time. What has helped me most (besides having sympathetic friends) is yoga. The breathing techniques in particular, and the ability to 'come into the present moment' were/are the best. Yoga is now part of my life. I take one class per week and will soon add a second one. Then I can practice at home. I'm also a once-a-day meditator (half hour min).

Haven't had an anxiety attack in years now. btw: I'm 62.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Since college I was misdiagnosed with panic disorder. I couldn't understand since most of my "attacks" happened when I was extremely relaxed or even asleep. In my early 40s it was discovered I had a severe tachycardia and my heart was racing at over 280 bpm and sometimes I could not get it to stop. I had an ablation done and I've been find for 4 years. I sent the diagnosis and surgical report to the cardiologist I originally went to with a note for him to repeat some courses in med school.

Some people think I am agoraphobic, but I am really misanthropic. I hate being around other people. I don't fear it, I just hate being in large groups of people.

Panic attacks are paralyzing. I have the deepest of sympathy for you. I wish I had a magic wand that I could wave to make it go away, but from what I understand, it's a very hard thing to overcome. I wish you luck in finding your center and having enough tea on hand to help you out.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I'm completely LOLing over the fact you told the Cardiologist to take some more classes lololol awesome.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

Several years ago I had problems with stress, heart racing, muscle weakness, etc. Often it is a physical rather than mental problem and this was. Took them awhile to diagnose it though. It was hyperthyroidism. Hypo is more common but mine was overactive. I felt like I was going crazy. Then they did radioactive iodine therapy to kill off the excess thyroid hormone and when that was gone, they put me on thyroid pills to make up for what was lost. I felt like a different person. This is a common problem millions of people have and don't know. Unfortunately I chose the radioactive therapy instead of thyroid removal. I feel it may have contributed to later health problems like a tumor on my salivary gland (I never smoked) and breast cancer.
borealowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by borealowl View Post
Several years ago I had problems with stress, heart racing, muscle weakness, etc. Often it is a physical rather than mental problem and this was. Took them awhile to diagnose it though. It was hyperthyroidism. Hypo is more common but mine was overactive. I felt like I was going crazy. Then they did radioactive iodine therapy to kill off the excess thyroid hormone and when that was gone, they put me on thyroid pills to make up for what was lost. I felt like a different person. This is a common problem millions of people have and don't know. Unfortunately I chose the radioactive therapy instead of thyroid removal. I feel it may have contributed to later health problems like a tumor on my salivary gland (I never smoked) and breast cancer.
That has crossed my mind many times. Now I have better insurance that won't add up to 20% of a large amount after paying a large deductible I may press for some tests.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #17
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

Mike - I think the TSH test is pretty inexpensive so don't worry much about that. I have them yearly to keep my medicine adjusted or more often if the doctor thinks something is going on. Most people are hypothyroid and have weight gain, fatigue, etc. Literally millions of people have thyroid disorders that are never diagnosed. The thyroid affects your metabolism and a lot of things. So a lot of problems you think are mental could be your thyroid.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #18
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

P.S. It is just a simple blood test that's all.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
Mike
Working the Gusset

With a NEEDLE!!!

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
I too, had hyperthyroidism and more specifically Graves Disease. I had my thyroid removed. It took them 2 1/2 years to figure out this. They thought I had MS. The neurologist didn't think to check for hyper, only hypo. I kept an appointment so that I could tell him what my gynocologist found out. I would get so weak that I couldn't stand up and all kind of weird symptoms.
I also, have depression and when my doctor put me on Lexapro, I had a panic attack in my SLEEP that night. It woke me up and my hands and feet were tingling and burning. He told me when I talked to him that it was a good sign that the medicine was working. So, the tingling is part of a panic attack.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote