Old 02-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Helmet Lners for the Troops
Has anyone made the citizensam (http://www.citizensam.org/) troop helmet liners? I just found out about these and would love to give it a try. But in reading the pattern it states that gauge must be EXACT, that even 1/2 stitch will make the size wrong and they will be unusable.

So I am a bit wary of trying it, gauge after all is a variable thing. It seems odd that 1/2 stitch could be so crucial, given the variety in the size of peoples head.

I ordered the suggested yarn but now am concerned that my efforts will be for nothing, if they are not spot on guage wise.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
I made an Operation Helmetliner a couple years ago, so my pattern might have been a bit different. They appreciated my helmetliner very much. I think I'll make another one. Thanks for the reminder!

Here's how it looked as it was being made:

Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
dvrgrl38
Casting On

I would like to knit some of these too, I just need to get the time and the correct color yarn. We have a local national guard troop getting deployed next April so I think it would be nice to send some with them.
Alison
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
pinnut3200
Knitting the Flap

Helmet Liners
I made two helmet liners in May for the project. You can read about it on my blog HERE and HERE.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinnut3200 For This Useful Post:
gmmarton (06-02-2009), Shandeh (06-01-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I have made 3 so far. They are a quick knit. I love Shandah's but my directions gave pretty limited color choices and they had to be solid (black,khaki,brown), they encouraged black but I used brown.

I have enough yarn to make 10 and am trying to make one every few weeks. I'll post a pic later.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post
.....I love Shandah's but my directions gave pretty limited color choices and they had to be solid (black,khaki,brown), they encouraged black but I used brown......
Exactly. I used bits of different yarns in my wool stash to make that one. Now, I'm starting another one with ONE color throughout, because that's what they recommend now.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
gmmarton (06-11-2009)
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
kae1crafts
1st Leg of the Journey

A different helmet liner pattern - beanie style
Hi,

My LYS has a project that has a different version of the helmet liner that is more like a beanie than a ski mask and more colors are okay. Since I don't know the actual designer of the pattern that I received at a KAL I haven't been able to post it on Ravelry but I do have it in a Squidoo lens (free pattern) and hope you will take advantage of it if you wish. All I ask is that you let me know how many you knit and donate as we are trying to track them and push ourselves to meet higher and higher goals. The purpose it to get every soldier a liner that wants one.

Squidoo Link: http://www.squidoo.com/knittedhelmetliners

You can comment on the Squidoo lens or email me your donation count at kaeelliott9@gmail.com

Happy knitting and let no head go unprotected.

Kae
kae1crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kae1crafts For This Useful Post:
sgtpam (12-08-2009)
Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kae1crafts View Post
Hi,

My LYS has a project that has a different version of the helmet liner that is more like a beanie than a ski mask and more colors are okay. Since I don't know the actual designer of the pattern that I received at a KAL I haven't been able to post it on Ravelry but I do have it in a Squidoo lens (free pattern) and hope you will take advantage of it if you wish. All I ask is that you let me know how many you knit and donate as we are trying to track them and push ourselves to meet higher and higher goals. The purpose it to get every soldier a liner that wants one.

Squidoo Link: http://www.squidoo.com/knittedhelmetliners

You can comment on the Squidoo lens or email me your donation count at kaeelliott9@gmail.com

Happy knitting and let no head go unprotected.

Kae

OK, I'll be the first to admit I'm not a whiz with directions but before I start one of these, let me make sure that when you do the increase to 91 stitches, that's it. You don't increase 1 every row for the next four inches, correct? (Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I have had patterns that have turned out very "blobby" because they don't clarify that increases don't continue...yet read like they do).

Thanks!

Also, do you have a simple pattern for a neck gaitor or neckwarmer that fits fairly snugly? All I'm seeming to find are more cowl styled, or lacy.....definitely not what a male soldier wants to help keep warm.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
kae1crafts
1st Leg of the Journey

Helmet liners pattern details
Originally Posted by miccisue View Post
OK, I'll be the first to admit I'm not a whiz with directions but before I start one of these, let me make sure that when you do the increase to 91 stitches, that's it. You don't increase 1 every row for the next four inches, correct? (Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I have had patterns that have turned out very "blobby" because they don't clarify that increases don't continue...yet read like they do).

Thanks!

Also, do you have a simple pattern for a neck gaitor or neckwarmer that fits fairly snugly? All I'm seeming to find are more cowl styled, or lacy.....definitely not what a male soldier wants to help keep warm.
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in the helmet liners. You only make one increase to 91 stitches when you change from the ribbing to stockinet stitch. You knit with 91 stitches until you begin the decreases. Hope that helps.

Now to the gaitor or neckwarmer. Here is the pattern that someone sent me to post in my Squidoo lens.

Neck Gator Knit Pattern
Easy pattern
Materials 100% wool
Size 6, 7, or 8 - 16" circular needle or dp needles.

Pattern

Cast on 112 stitches very loosely.
Join (make sure not to twist) and rib (k1 P1 or K2 P2 for 9".
Cast off very loosely.
Weave in the ends.

I think the important thing would be to cast on loosely enough and bind off loosely enough to get this over your head otherwise the pattern looks snug and a tight knit.

Kae
kae1crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
miccisue
Turning the Heel

One more question.....when it says to check your gauge, are they talking about with the size 6 needles or the size 8's? They don't specify, and obviously if you meet the gauge with one size, you won't with the other. My gauge matches if I use the 8's, but of course on the 6's it's a tad off.

I sure hope I'm not doing this thing for nothing.....
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote