Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
cheley
Working the Gusset

crochet Question for MGM..
Hi, with regard to my question "always goof up this tech"..I got great answers from Suz...yet I can not "visualize" "joining" in a 3 (or whatever) space...I checked your videos and didn't see one for that particular question? Am I missing something? can you refer to a video that shows how? Thanks soo much

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
We don't have crochet videos on this site. There's a picture on the Lion site that shows slip st to join a circle and in a row. There may be some on Youtube.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
We don't have crochet videos on this site. There's a picture on the Lion site that shows slip st to join a circle and in a row. There may be some on Youtube.
Yes I know..the question is directed to the person MGM...who occasionally posts here on the crochet thread.....

Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Your post seemed like it was coming from you.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Your post seemed like it was coming from you.
It is from me!! I am asking MGM, the creator of www.hookedonneedles.com if she has a video showing "crochet in the 3 space chain".....she (MGM) posts here frequently when crochet questions are asked....

Old 03-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

GENERAL - Skip this paragraph.

Well, you see, when you have a 3 space chain, aka a chain that consists of three chain stitches, usually done on the round/row before the one you're working on, you crochet into the space by (wrapping the yarn around the hook for hdc,dc,tr,... not for sc obviously, then) going under the chain 3 space, aka the hole it left, or the arc it forms, then pulling up the yarn and work the stitches as indicated.

But to be honest, "joining" is not frequent into chain 3 spaces. Normally you join to an adjacent sc or chain.

---

I didn't read your other post, and now the question is much clearer. When the pattern tells you to join into any ch 3 space, I usually hold the new yarn the way I hold the yarn, then pull up the working yarn through the ch3space, pull a loop through the loop on the hook, then continue normally.
It's looser, but the weaving in of the ends later should fix that.

You could also put a slipknot onto the hook. For that, you first do the slipknot, but don't put it on the hook directly. Then you put the slipknot through the ch3space from the back to the front, onto the hook, then you pull the yarn through the slipknot with the hook, by going above the ch3space, so as to fasten the yarn to the ch3space. Then you continue as normal.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by blueygh2 View Post
GENERAL - Skip this paragraph.

Well, you see, when you have a 3 space chain, aka a chain that consists of three chain stitches, usually done on the round/row before the one you're working on, you crochet into the space by (wrapping the yarn around the hook for hdc,dc,tr,... not for sc obviously, then) going under the chain 3 space, aka the hole it left, or the arc it forms, then pulling up the yarn and work the stitches as indicated.

But to be honest, "joining" is not frequent into chain 3 spaces. Normally you join to an adjacent sc or chain.

---

I didn't read your other post, and now the question is much clearer. When the pattern tells you to join into any ch 3 space, I usually hold the new yarn the way I hold the yarn, then pull up the working yarn through the ch3space, pull a loop through the loop on the hook, then continue normally.
It's looser, but the weaving in of the ends later should fix that.

You could also put a slipknot onto the hook. For that, you first do the slipknot, but don't put it on the hook directly. Then you put the slipknot through the ch3space from the back to the front, onto the hook, then you pull the yarn through the slipknot with the hook, by going above the ch3space, so as to fasten the yarn to the ch3space. Then you continue as normal.
Nice answer...great explanation...my pat says to break off yarn...(then I am started a new round) join in any 3 chain space (which I already have) and ch 3 and sc in the "space"....Thank you

Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Don't mind me, I'm only slightly confused....

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (03-23-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
MGM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Hi, with regard to my question "always goof up this tech"..I got great answers from Suz...yet I can not "visualize" "joining" in a 3 (or whatever) space...I checked your videos and didn't see one for that particular question? Am I missing something? can you refer to a video that shows how? Thanks soo much
Hi Cheley! Thanks so much for requesting my help by name! Gosh, I almost feel special or something!

I did make a video on crocheting a traditional multi-color granny square that actually shows how I join a new color in a chain space. If you click HERE and then watch the video to just before the 5 minute mark, that is where I start to show the method I use to do exactly what you are looking for. I am sure there are many other methods, and other people might have other advice, but this is how I do it and it works for me. Give it a try, see if you like it, and let me know if it helps you. I hope it does!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by MGM View Post
Hi Cheley! Thanks so much for requesting my help by name! Gosh, I almost feel special or something!

I did make a video on crocheting a traditional multi-color granny square that actually shows how I join a new color in a chain space. If you click HERE and then watch the video to just before the 5 minute mark, that is where I start to show the method I use to do exactly what you are looking for. I am sure there are many other methods, and other people might have other advice, but this is how I do it and it works for me. Give it a try, see if you like it, and let me know if it helps you. I hope it does!

MGM
Yes, you are "special" I follow your crochet videos all the time, as they are fantastic If you remember I requested "Broom Stick Lace" videos...Thank you, you were "right on" my question....

The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
MGM (03-17-2010)