Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

Craving Color
This morning I went to Michaels to pick up a skein of Sugar n Cream for a tote I'm working on. A nice sedate blue & white tweed yarn.

But when I got to the yarn, I found myself drawn to the sunshine yellow, hot pink & orange yarns. No, these aren't colors that fit my lifestyle. Or even look good on me. But I'm tired of winter.

I know come the end of summer, I'll be eager for wools in plum purples, forest green & heathered navy. But right now, I'm craving the colors of summer.
Abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

I hear ya' sister! AMEN!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
ItsNotAmanda
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to ItsNotAmanda
You should just jump right in with a color that grabbed your attention!
Sometimes it's nice to have something bold. I have a minty green hoodie that really stands out in a crowd.

It's kind of refreshing to have something bold and colorful! Especially now that winter is over.
ItsNotAmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

Yeah, on the way home I envisioned a pillow top. Done with a square in the middle & stripes along each side, & altering the coloration along the diagonal. Like a square bullseye with a slash thru it where the colors switch.
But my living room is in blue. So there isn't really a place for yellow, pink & orange together.
I wished I looked better in those colors. Cause they are cheerful & fun to play with.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

So what if your living room is in blue? Knit yourself an accent pillow... and it can be:
a) an accent piece to bring in a spot of other colors.
b) a conversation starter (ie, "wow, that's a beautiful and bright pillow you have there!" "I know, I made it myself")
c) that pillow that you let your husband and children use to sleep on. My mom's pet peeve is that everyone actually uses her accent pillows as - get this - PILLOWS! OMG! So we now have two sets of pillows. The ones that are purely for decoration and so help you if she catches you sleeping on them; and the old ones that we are allowed to sleep on, play on, build forts out of, pillow fight with, etc.

The point is, if you're really wanting to knit something that color, and you have an idea that you like, just do it.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

You're right. I need that color fix.

Maybe socks. Or a baby blanket. Or cute for a girl's striped tank top with white & lime green added. The project doesn't have to be for me. I just need to use the colors.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
etoilechaude
Knitting the Flap

I don't generally knit for myself because I love lace and/or shawls... so I buy anything that catches my eye that particular day. But I TOTALLY feel you on craving bright color. I've been wanting a yellow/orange yarn and just couldn't find anything I loved... so I had my first dyeing experiment with some inexpensive yarn... the colors came out so great and they're cheery and summery just like I wanted :oD

EvanP on Ravelry (Hey that's rhymes!)
etoilechaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I know exactly what you're talking about. I went to Michael's and bought a ton of "flower" colored yarn that was on sale. That's what I get for working in my gardens. I was suddenly tired of the greys, greens and browns that was in my stash.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaR For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (03-19-2010)