Old 03-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I believe so, she's pretty submissive. It's okay to disagree on this.
As long as you are able to retrieve things from inside her mouth/mess with her food when she eats/approach her at any time with 0 growling/baring of teeth then I wouldn't worry. I do find though, that carrying small dogs around leads them to be insecure/fearful/snappy etc. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms. OOPS I said nother.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
SandsLVT
Ribbing the Cuff

I have leather couches and medium-sized dogs with short hair (American Pit Bulls) who are allowed on them and I agree that it's easier to keep leather clean vs. fabric. The hair doesn't stick to them and the leather cleaners that are available work really well. Most leather cleaners will also include a conditioner that shines and smooths the leather, too.

I don't have a problem with holes, rips, or tears either, but my dogs' nails are not sharp. I walk them both often and their nails are nice and smooth.

SandsLVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

We have a leather sofa and chair with the top stitched seams as you mentioned and it has held of for years through the hubby being a bachelor and we still have it now. Our 62lb boxer mix is allowed up there and it hasn't seem to damage the couch in any way. She really only wants to be up there if I am up there with a blanket and she is tired - otherwise the leather is too hot for her.
I actually don't like the leather b/c it is cold in the winter and hot in the summer...but the hubby loves it. I must say it is easier to keep dog fur off of than a fabric couch. We do not use leather cleaner or anything like that on it.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
MattttaM
Casting On

Location: Toronto Canada ( or close enough to count...out in the countryside technically)
do alittle reading on leather and the difference between " genuine leather" and "genuine FULL-GRAIN leather" You will find the full grain leather to be much more resisilient and tougher, and much more expensive as this is the outer layer of the hide. The premium part of a leather cowhide is the uppermost layer. You will find saddle soap is the best way to clean your leather furniture and regularly doing so keeps it conditioned and new looking much longer.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...therguide.aspx

This link above is THE BEST explanation I have come across for the qualities and grades of leather available. Also a useful place to purchase leather for craft or upholstery purposes too.
Enjoy your new leather furniture. It should last a lifetime...barring cats that is. I'd have moved the bookcase or removed the cat before the couch was damaged beyond repair. ( I am decidedly not a cat person however.)
Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MattttaM View Post
It should last a lifetime...barring cats that is. I'd have moved the bookcase or removed the cat before the couch was damaged beyond repair. ( I am decidedly not a cat person however.)
It seems silly ... I know! It was a small apartment and I didn't really have an choice as to where the bookcase went. Besides, as frustrating as he can be sometimes I love the little guy ... he's like family!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
Arielluria
Instepping Out

We found our couch yesterday. I had done some research and found I should be looking for the coiled, 8-way hand tied (like they do mattresses) construction. Found a gorgeous set which had that in the frame AND in each individual cushion, plus a 'pillow top' attached to the top of each cushion. I was so impressed I wouldn't let mom or hubby get up off their seats. It's a store which buys discontinued or overstock, so it was the only set. Great deal! I can't wait, it will be delivered Monday.

Thanks ALL for the great input. KH members rock!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote