Old 03-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
jeabenne
Casting On

Strange problem, please help
Hello,

I am a beginner knitter (again). I have tried knitting off and on for years, but a werid problem has always discouraged me and I end up giving it up. I have been knitting solid for the last three days, looking at hours of videos on the internet, scouring blogs and forums and have found nothing to help me with this problem, and I'm about to quit yet again.

My problem is this: I will be knitting along, following my pattern (basically it is knit 2 rows, purl 1 and repeat this over and over). After about 10 rows, I will look down at my work and there will be a section of knitting where the wrong side is on the right side- basically, it is as if I get my sides reversed. I'm focusing on how exactly I knit and purl, I'm making sure to keep the yarn in the back for knitting and in the front for purlling, and I'm making sure I put the yarn over the needle the right way (counter clockwise in both knnit and purl). However, it happens over and over again. If I keep going, it will inevitably happen again, so that instead of having a right side and a wrong side, my knitting has sections of right side on the right side, but also sections of wrong side on the right side. What is this called? Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Please help! I'm about to give up again. It is so frustrating. I've been trying to learn how to knit for 15 years!
jeabenne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

Most likely reason is that you are changing direction in the middle of the work. One way to overcome this, is to remember, the stitches you just made sit on the right needle. So if you set your knitting down & come back. Tug on the working yarn. It should be attached to the stitches on your right needle. If not, flip the work over.
Abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Are you knitting flat or in the round?

I think you just have to be very careful and make sure you know what the pattern is supposed to look like and be able to identify your stitches so if you start knitting (or purling) where you shouldn't, you'll know the difference and be able to correct it. Also, keep in mind which side of the work you are on, whether it's the right side or the wrong side. Sometimes it's the easiest patterns that can drive you crazy because you feel you shouldn't have to be paying that close of attention.

If you're knitting in the round, the pattern should look like 2 rounds of stockinette stitch and one round of purl bumps. If you're knitting flat, I keep picturing it just being garter stitch. That could be wrong though. Maybe someone else has a different take.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Make sure the RS is marked somehow. I place a safety pin on the RS (public side) of my work. I try to never stop and set my work down unless I have finished the row or round. If I have to, I make myself a note and I lay the work down just as it should look when I pick it back up.

This might seem like a hassle, but if you can discipline yourself to do these things it will soon become automatic and it will help you with your knitting.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

If you are running into the problem when working in the round, then most likely you have turned the work inside out.
Abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
I can almost guarantee at some point you are doing one more row of something. Either you're knitting two rows back to back or you're purling three rows. You could also be forgetting to purl the 2nd of the two rows. Either way the mistake is easily fixed. Keep a pad of paper near you when you knit. Right before you start a row, write down what that row is supposed to be. So if you the row you are getting ready to start is supposed to be a knit row then write down a big K. If its a purl, then right down a big P. That way if you go back and look at your pad and it says:

K P P K P P K P P P K P P, you'll see that you on the third repeat you did an extra row of purls. Writing down and keeping track of your knitting and patters in probably one of the best things you can do.

I personally use a row counter and then I make sure that I know exactly what row I'm supposed to be on. And if a pattern repeats, I will write out the repeated rows regardless of knowing what they are supposed to be. A lot of working with patterns is how organized you are and how detailed you are at keeping the pattern.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
ItsNotAmanda
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to ItsNotAmanda
I like to keep track of which row I just knitted, so with a counter on my phone I always do one more count each time I finish a row. So if I am doing a pattern which is similar to yours or 5 rows of knit and then rows 6-11 (just an example) are purls, I'll know where I am!
I can't ever do rows of k1,p1,k1,p1.....because I get distracted easily and forget which one I just did.
If you don't have a counter, try a piece of paper! It can be a bit obnoxious marking every time you finish a row, but it does help in the long run.
Best of luck, and don't give up!
ItsNotAmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Actually, it depends on what you think the "wrong" side looks like.

If it's like this... it may look to you like it's changing from wrong side to right side and back...but, I think it's probably exactly the way it should be. It makes a nice pattern with a few rows of "stockinette" stich and then a few rows of garter stitch.
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: Purl
Row 4: Knit
Row 5: Knit
Row 6: Purl
Row 7: Knit
Row 8: Knit
Row 9: Purl

Can you give us more of the pattern?

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
The may sound strange, but make sure your needles are always between you and your body. That is to say, don't start knitting away, and have the needles out, with the WIP closest to your body. I have seen ppl do this with DPNS, they are using the furthest two needles to them, rather than the closest to, the result is that you are knitting inside out....

I don't know if that sounded as clear as I was thinking it...but that might be the problem....

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't think she's working in the round. Sounds like she's doing garter, rev stockinette and stockinette knit flat.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote