Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
ablnewlife
Casting On

Disabled knitters
Wondering if there are any disabled knitters. My left arm and hand don't work. I learned to knit using the Continental style so I need to relearn.
Any tips, advice is welcomed.
Thanks
ablnewlife

Last edited by ablnewlife : 04-13-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: new to site.Told to add some icon.
ablnewlife is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help! I moved your post here because it wasn't about charity knitting and it'll get more attention here.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

You might be able to knit English with the left needle in a holder. Continental might still work if you have a brace and can run the yarn through your left fingers. I'd think the easiest would be what I've seen called "cottage knitting" where you hold a very long needle under one arm. There's a site just for disabilities and knitting, but I forget where it is right now. Crochet's a little more problematic, but that's entirely possible as well.

Don't worry--you can knit. It's just a matter of finding what works for you.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
abbeylace
Casting On

abbeylace
Originally Posted by ablnewlife View Post
Wondering if there are any disabled knitters. My left arm and hand don't work. I learned to knit using the Continental style so I need to relearn.
Any tips, advice is welcomed.
Thanks
ablnewlife
You might want to try using a knitting machine. There are hobby types like Bond and Silver Reed 150. Ebay always has used knitting machines available.
abbeylace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I agree that cottage style might do the trick. The best of luck to you.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Ravelry has a couple of groups aimed toward the disabled knitter: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/search...abled+knitters You might find some hints there.

My first thought was that you might talk with an Occupational Therapist or a Physical Therapist and see what advice s/he could give.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
Jannette (04-14-2010)
Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Jannette
1st Leg of the Journey

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find something that will work for you.
Jannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Ah, beat me to the Ravelry link. I had seen, recently, a video on YouTube about disabled knitters and I was stupid enough not to bookmark it... it was one of those things I'd linked to from another page and I will be hanged if I can remember what I was looking up that day.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
HeartLeeKnit
Casting On

"Ravelry has a couple of groups aimed toward the disabled knitter: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/search...abled+knitters"

AS for the link mentioned above - it did not work. It only goes to a Ravelry login screen.

Does everyone in KH belong to Ravelry? Doesn't Ravelry have it's own forum/support groups? Confused (not the 1st 'today'). Isn't KH an open forum for everyone?

I am also disabled (different challenge - vision). This is the 1st thread I've encountered which mentions disabilities. Great!

HUGS, Lee
Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartLeeKnit View Post
"Ravelry has a couple of groups aimed toward the disabled knitter: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/search...abled+knitters"

AS for the link mentioned above - it did not work. It only goes to a Ravelry login screen.

Does everyone in KH belong to Ravelry? Doesn't Ravelry have it's own forum/support groups? Confused (not the 1st 'today'). Isn't KH an open forum for everyone?

I am also disabled (different challenge - vision). This is the 1st thread I've encountered which mentions disabilities. Great!

HUGS, Lee
Not everyone belongs to Ravelry, but I'd say the majority probably do. It's absolutely awesome for keeping your knitting projects organized or finding patterns. They do have forums, but they generally are not the same friendly close knit group that we are although there may be a few. I post occasionally if I have a question that is specific to a pattern and they have a group for it, but usually I just read what I need and come here for my questions and friends.

Oh and you have to belong to have that link work.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote