Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
Keyes97
Casting On

Wanted: 14" Aluminum Knitting Needles, size 5 or smaller
Hi there. I'm looking for 14 inch aluminum knitting needles, size 5 or smaller. Before you ask, I'm not a knitter. I'm a librarian who uses these knitting needles to mend books. Really.

I can't afford to pay much for them, and I don't care if they're used. Because I'm in a public school in Illinois, I don't have much money left in my budget. But I do appreciate you looking at this thread, and please respond if you have any, or know where I could find some.

Thank you very much! Happy knitting!
Keyes97 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Keyes97 View Post
Hi there. I'm looking for 14 inch aluminum knitting needles, size 5 or smaller. Before you ask, I'm not a knitter. I'm a librarian who uses these knitting needles to mend books. Really.

I can't afford to pay much for them, and I don't care if they're used. Because I'm in a public school in Illinois, I don't have much money left in my budget. But I do appreciate you looking at this thread, and please respond if you have any, or know where I could find some.

Thank you very much! Happy knitting!
I am sure I have some wood ones... or even plastic.. Do you need "sets"? Or just a few... How do you "mend" books? Send me your address if you are interested...

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

I suggest your nearest JoAnn Fabrics or Michael's craft store. Probably the most inexpensive ones you can find in a store. Both have weekly 40% off coupons and JoAnn's is having 30% off needles right now. Or check their website and use the coupon on there.
borealowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Keyes97
Casting On

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
I am sure I have some wood ones... or even plastic.. Do you need "sets"? Or just a few... How do you "mend" books? Send me your address if you are interested...
I'm not able to send private messages at this time, so I'll have to reply in this manner. Thanks for the offer Cheley, but I'm only looking for aluminum. The wood and plastic will not do for book mending.

Mending books is, simply, glueing (never taping! Tape is evil to books!) books back together after they have been ripped or worn. Many libraries no longer mend their books, but it is so much more economical to repair a large encyclopedia rather than purchase another one for over $100. Thanks again!
Keyes97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Keyes97 View Post
I'm not able to send private messages at this time, so I'll have to reply in this manner. Thanks for the offer Cheley, but I'm only looking for aluminum. The wood and plastic will not do for book mending.

Mending books is, simply, glueing (never taping! Tape is evil to books!) books back together after they have been ripped or worn. Many libraries no longer mend their books, but it is so much more economical to repair a large encyclopedia rather than purchase another one for over $100. Thanks again!
go to my "name" hit private message, then send...do you need sets or just one or three or five etc....cause I might have "odd" needles (without partners) laying around...I am sure other "viewers" on the forum might have some too

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
mylycanslove
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to mylycanslove
check walmart. they are very cheap there (like 3 bucks)
mylycanslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Have you tried looking on Craigslist.com??? I've been able to purchase some needles on there!! Just put "knitting needles" in their search box and see what comes up for your local area!!!

Happy searchingi!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
szahn27
Ribbing the Cuff

I can send you some. Need address.
szahn27 is offline   Reply With Quote