Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
lace yarn over help
I am considering starting a Pi Shawl and couldn't decide what size needle to use and decided the best way was to give it a shot with some leftover lace (and also wanted to try Emily Ocker's cast-on.)

The problem I am having is with the YOs when still a small number of stitches on DPNs or magic loop or what not. I find rounds beginning with YOs awkward to begin with, but now that I've transitioned to a 16" circular, I see that the YOs at the join points on those first few increase rounds are HORRIBLE, like the tip of my pointer finger fits through those, but can't even get the tip of my pinky into the non-join-point YOs. Of course once transitioned to the 16" needle and working in the round, this will no longer be an issue, but are there any tips/tricks for making these nicer and more uniform to the others in those beginning rows or anything?

Thanks in advance!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Any uneveness in sts or YOs will be fixed when you wash and block it, so I wouldn't worry. If I start with a small number of sts like 4 or 8, I put the sts on only 2 dpns and use a 3rd to knit with until there's more sts, then add the other needles, so you have less ends to YO at. When using ML, I just hold the back sts really close to the front ones and pull the yarn snug. It's another thing that just takes practice, so doing some samples is a good way to get it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (04-17-2010), CognizantAmiga (04-18-2010)
Old 04-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
thanks a bunch. I should have deleted the other one when I put this one here, sorry about that!

I've experimented a bit with the holding it snug and how snug and I think I'm satisfied with what I've got now, but now the cast-on is irritating me LOL. It just looks off, asymmetrical, I'm probably doing something wrong there too. Anyway, thanks again!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

I just use a LT CO and use 2 dpns or ML. It can have a bit of a hole in it, sew it closed with the tail yarn.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (04-17-2010)
Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

well, the problem I'm having actually, is that the center isn't symmetrical..... I don't know how to describe it really, but I tried Emily Ocker's cast-on and then a "lighter" version of it I found at Knit Picks site and you know when you start a small ring, usually when you've gone out a few rounds, the middle is all pretty almost like a flower/star? It looks like that but like there's a petal missing..... I'm going to try to get a pic of what I mean, but can't make promises since only have my camera phone.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

this is the best that I can do, but you can pretty much see what I mean, at the bottom of the "flower." Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what, but that's the type of thing that will irritate the crap out of me LOL

Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Wouldn't bother me, I'd call that close enough. A lot of things like that will block out anyway. You can do another inch or two, then block what you've got then to see what happens.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (04-18-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

I actually re-tried Judy Becker's Magic Cast-on Method for Small Circles and I'm happy with the second attempt. The first time I cast on 5 per her instructions and tried to get up to 18 gently and of course that didn't work, so went ahead and started with 9 like the Pi directions (no clue why I didn't do that to begin with) and I'm happy enough with the result. There is no flower/star in the center like with the other cast-ons, but that means nothing to be asymmetric LOL. My joined YOs still need work, but getting better! Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

I 've tried that one and can't get it to work. I use the turkish for a bag that has a long rectangular bottom; for circles I just co and join.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
MMario
Turning the Heel

If there is a huge disparity in size between your yarnovers at the start of a round (or dpn) and those internal to a round/needle, you can skip them, then lift the bar between stitches on the next round to create your yarnover. Many people do this routinely when a yo falls at the juncture of two needles.
boyforpele13 (04-21-2010)