Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
rutired2day
Casting On

Sheaves of Wheat Need Help
The pattern is called Sheaves of Wheat. It has a "wrap" sequence.
The instructions are: With yarn in back, insert right needle between next 4th and 5th sts on left needle, K1, drawing up longer 1p than usual, k4, sl one strand of long st over 4 sts to wrap them. I don't understand the "drawing up longer 1p than usual" I tried looking at utube to see if there were any videos to view but couldn't find anything. Can anyone help me? Thanks
rutired2day is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You're misreading it, the term is 'lp' for loop, not '1p'. You're going to 'make' a stitch between the 4th and 5th sts on the L needle, but don't pull it tight. Keep it loose so when you k4, you can pass the loop over the 4 sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
rutired2day
Casting On

Sheaves of Wheat Need Help
Thank you so very much.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
rutired2day
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
You're misreading it, the term is 'lp' for loop, not '1p'. You're going to 'make' a stitch between the 4th and 5th sts on the L needle, but don't pull it tight. Keep it loose so when you k4, you can pass the loop over the 4 sts.
I guess I don't understand the wrap pattern itself. When you insert the right needle between the 4th and 5th stitches, where do you get the k1 from? Do you know if there is a video I can watch? Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I looked this stitch up on the Knitting Fools site. I see you are making columns of k4, p2 on the right side and then you make them into a sheaf, then you off set some more of them.

I don't know of a video, but here is an explanation of what to do. The instructions for row 3 are:
Quote:
With yarn in back, insert right needle between next 4th and 5th sts on left needle, K1, drawing up longer 1p than usual, k4, sl one strand of long st over 4 sts to wrap them.
This is a right side row, and on each of the knit 4 panels you make the sheaves and purl the purls. Skip the first four stitches and insert the RHN (Right Hand Needle) right under the LHN (Left Hand Needle) between the 4th and 5th stitches on the LHN. Knit up a stitch loop in the usual way, but in that odd spot, pulling the loop up larger than a regular stitch loop (in my sample I pulled my loop up so that it was about 3/4" long, the length you need will depend on the size of your needles and yarn). Keeping the loop right where it is and not slipping any of the stitches off the LHN, go back and knit each of the 4 stitches you skipped starting with the first one at the tip of the LHN, letting each loop go over to the RHN like you normally would. You now find yourself with 2 strands going across the 4 stitches you just knit, one of them goes over the RHN just to the right of the 4 new stitches, lift that strand of the loop with the LHN and take it over all 4 stitches and off like you would for a bind off. Now the "sheaf" of 4 stitches is wrapped front and back. Purl the next 2 stitches and then make the next "sheaf". Repeat across the row.

I hope that is of some help.