Old 05-07-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
sweetangel1966
Casting On

shawl
beautiful
sweetangel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetangel1966 For This Useful Post:
mwhite (05-09-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Wow Mary! Wow! This is a truly divine shawl! I do love the patterning! Looks like you've also created a very thoughtful pattern, too! Fully charted, 8 pages, and also an option to receive larger size charts if needed! You're a very gifted designer, and thoughtful to boot! Best wishes on the continued success of your designs!

Do you have any tips to share with us about knitting a lacy shawl such as this? Can you tell me, what will be my biggest challenge if I take on an ambitious project such as this? I'm a sweater knitter for the most part...my lace experience is only scarves...which are only 30 st wide at the most. A shawl, oy vey! It looks daunting! So many stitches on the needles at the end!

What say you? Am I up to a project like this? I sure do love it! And is fingering or lace weight the best? What do you recommend?

I purchased your PDF pattern via Ravelry! The Covington Shawl! Very reasonably priced, Mary! Thanks!

I'm printing the pattern now. It is so well laid out, and I really appreciate the color coding you have done to make it easier to follow the line-by-line instructions! Thoughtful of you!
I prefer charts, and your charts are also better quality than usual!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
mwhite (05-10-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post

Do you have any tips to share with us about knitting a lacy shawl such as this? Can you tell me, what will be my biggest challenge if I take on an ambitious project such as this? I'm a sweater knitter for the most part...my lace experience is only scarves...which are only 30 st wide at the most. A shawl, oy vey! It looks daunting! So many stitches on the needles at the end!

What say you? Am I up to a project like this? I sure do love it! And is fingering or lace weight the best? What do you recommend?

I purchased your PDF pattern via Ravelry! The Covington Shawl! Very reasonably priced, Mary! Thanks!

I'm printing the pattern now. It is so well laid out, and I really appreciate the color coding you have done to make it easier to follow the line-by-line instructions! Thoughtful of you!
I prefer charts, and your charts are also better quality than usual!
Mercy, Woman! So many questions....Thanks for your wonderful comments and encouragement!

First of all.... everyone of my patterns includes a section of general tips and suggestions for the pattern and overall lace knitting....And lace knitting always looks more difficult than it really is but does require concentration and patience. I would say that your biggest challenge is having the "Stick-to-it-tiveness" to complete. Don't let the large number of stitches scare you....it means you're almost done with the fabric. Stitch markers can actually be placed before each of the stitch pattern repeats and will help with counting or finding errors.

I did the pattern sample on Covington using size 8 needles and a 4-ply sock yarn so that I could make sure that it radiates well....I just love mine....wore it this weekend on chilly mornings and evenings, kept me warm without having too much weight....although, by reducing the number of times Chart B is repeated, the shawl can be made smaller....in the sock yarn and size 8's.

The shawl has not yet been done with laceweight or 2 ply fingering but I'm positive it would be fantastic in either yarn with smaller needles. Mine is HUGE! The laceweight or fingering would need smaller needles to allow for good stitch definition. Using the pattern as is, following the same directions with the thinner yarn and needles will produce a nice sized shawl. I have ordered some white, 50% Merino/ 50% Silk laceweight so that I can do a wedding shawl for June display....will be using size 5 or 6 needles so a sample is being worked.

Blocking is enjoyable to me because I love to figure out the best way, but wires, both flexible and stiff are good to have for this one. Directions in detail are in the blocking section.

And, of course, my email address is provided on the pattern for support if needed.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (05-10-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Thanks Mary! And also, thanks for sending me the larger version for the charts!

In reading over your pattern, I am sooooo happy that the WS rows are just purls, with the exception of the 3 border stitches at each end! So the working rows are only on the RS! Yay!

I certainly do love the yellow highlighting you included! That really makes the areas to be repeated MUCH EASIER to spot!

You're a real pro! An excellent design!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 05-10-2010 at 08:34 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (06-13-2010), mwhite (05-19-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
melmac51
Turning the Heel

beautiful, just beautiful!!!!!
mwhite (05-19-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

wow! that is truly stunning!! GORGEOUS!
The Following User Says Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
mwhite (05-24-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #17
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Yup, that's super duper alright. I love it! I've yet to make a shawl out of sock yarn, I always figure I should use "better" yarn or more luxurious for some reason but I see sock yarn is beautiful in the shawl. Lovely!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VictoiseC For This Useful Post:
mwhite (05-30-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #18
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Wow! That is sooo pretty, Mary! GREAT job!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
mwhite (05-30-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #19
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

I love it too and the color looks well on you.
borealowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to borealowl For This Useful Post:
mwhite (05-30-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Mary that is just STUNNING!!!!!!!!! You really have become our resident LACE PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mwhite (05-31-2010)