Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #101
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

Any sock Kal 3
Originally Posted by rachejm View Post
I finished my shawl!

Now I've gotta decide what to knit next, socks perhaps?
Do you have any suggestions for a pattern, etc. for someone who has not tried to knit socks yet. I have been knitting for a long time but want to try a sock pattern that will be simple enough that I will not be frogging all the time.

Thanks,

Elaine
ewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #102
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Hi Elaine, and welcome to our insane KAL!

Somewhere there is a sock pattern by Silver that seems to be the standard for simple sock making...
I can't find the stupid thing. Hopefully someone else has the link and can share it with you.

So, weirdly, my world has been overtaken by little black crickets. I live in a second floor apartment, and I've got at least two in here (I caught one, one escaped.) I also had one briefly following me in Wal Mart, and another one trying to get into the building with me when I got home... Where are they coming from!?
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #103
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Elaine: Silver's Sock Tutorial is how I learned to make socks. I had a decent pair the first try! Good luck and welcome to our group!

Hi everyone! I am getting better each day. I started on vitamin B12 (the time released one) and am feeling a lot better. I think the Oxycontin is finally gone and I am coming back to being me. I have been doing some reading, a bit of knitting and some computer stuff in the last week. I went to each appointment I had this week except the hydrotherapy. I missed that because it was pouring and I did not want to go out in the rain.

Tomorrow is the hard day, hubby will be working a 12 hour overtime shift and I will have to occupy myself for that whole time. Then he will be home for two days and that will be nice! I have a few things in mind to do while he is at work Saturday. In three weeks he will be off for two weeks and then I will really enjoy having him around!!

Glad to see everyone on here. I've missed talking to you all. I don't comment much but I have been reading the posts.

Have a great weekend!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #104
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Hi Elaine!

I would recommend Silvers Sock Tutorial - its how I made my first pair of socks.

Welcome to the KAL

xxx

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #105
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

First Socks!
I am currently working on sock one of my first pair of socks using Silver's tutorial. So far, I am just "ribbing the cuff" but it has been very simple and rewarding. I did have to frog a couple of times at the beginning but have got the pattern down now. Also. I had trouble with the size 3 aluminum DPNs. I looked for bamboo or wood ones and could not find them locally so I took my knit guage to Michael's and found a dowel skinny enough to be a size 3 and cut it into 5 equal pieces about 7 3/8 " long. I sharpened them with a pencil sharpener then sanded them with fine sandpaper then waxed them smooth with plain old wax paper from the kitchen. They are working just fine and the yarn does not slide around like it did on the aluminum needles. BTW I am using Kroy Socks Stripes in the mulberry colorway. Good luck and happy knitting!
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #106
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

Sock KAL
Hi everyone,
I really do appreciate all your helpful suggestions about sock making. I have watched Silver's video and agree that it is probably the way to go.

I do not reply to the e-mails very often but I do read them and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks again,

Elaine
Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #107
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by ewalker View Post
Hi everyone,
I really do appreciate all your helpful suggestions about sock making. I have watched Silver's video and agree that it is probably the way to go.

I do not reply to the e-mails very often but I do read them and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks again,

Elaine
Elaine: the written come to silver sock knitting tutorial is better again than the video as it has written instructions plus pictures to clarify any questions you may have. Good luck. Sock knitting is very addictive!!!

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

Enjoy!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
ewalker (07-31-2010)
Old 07-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #108
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

http://www.worldbirdsanctuary.org/index.php/support/cd

I just realized they have clips posted! I can be heard in the Parrot Song clip (towards the end) and in Waterfall. I played on a couple of other songs but you can't really hear me in the clips.

Christine, I'm glad that things continue to improve. I have some lovely pink heart material here... :D
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (07-31-2010)
Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #109
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

No, I did not want to get wet Chris!!!

Thanks Jess. I can't wait to see them on DH..........

Old 07-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #110
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

Any sock Kal 3
Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
Elaine: the written come to silver sock knitting tutorial is better again than the video as it has written instructions plus pictures to clarify any questions you may have. Good luck. Sock knitting is very addictive!!!

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

Enjoy!!!
Thanks for the info, I did not realize there were written inst. Any suggestions as to a place where I can find yarn that I need to match?