Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #121
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hi Friends,
Sorry I've been MIA lately. Vacation and work (not both at once) have kept me busy.
I'll try to comment on stuff as I can, but no promises!
Julie, I feel for ya with your brother. Yikes. And freeze the credit card in a ziplock of water. You can't use it until it thaws. TOTALLY cuts out impulse buying, which is what gets most people in trouble. I've been to JimmyBeans wool once on a trip with DH. Nice store. I haven't bought online from them, though! Sounds like you scored!
Emily, congrats on the job! I know you're unsure, but you'll be great! And your family is in my prayers!
Welcome, Elaine! How are the socks coming? I started with Silver's toe-up magic loop tutorial, but I did a different toe (Turkish cast on).
Rhonda, YAY for your needles. I've made my own size 15 DPNs before! SHow us pics of your socks!
Christine, I just requested the book you mentioned from my library. I'm #29 in a que! Oh well! I can wait!
Rache, what's the new job? I missed that...
Ok, so my news! DD is still NOT engaged (Good thing, there, for you newbies) and will NOT be getting back together with her ex-fiance, but DS IS engaged. We love his fiance and feel it is a good match. They're young (21), but both committed Christians and genuinely good people. He proposed in WA on a little island near my folks' house. It was very sweet.
DD is doing well. She's got a teaching position (1st & 2nd grade deaf and hard-of-hearing students) and started new teacher orientation this week. It was hard for her during vacation with all the attention on DS, but one of my sisters was very sensitive to that and would shift the attention to Emmelyn and ask questions about her job, got her a little teacher gift and stuff like that. I was so grateful to her!
Vacation was good, but my dad's drinking again, so that added stress. (He starts out happy, ends up mad about SOMETHING!) The weather was LOVELY. Cloudy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon. NO day was over 80 degrees. Of course, now we're back to 95+ with 80% humidity. Thank the Lord for AC! I've been tutoring a lot since we got back, so that's good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (08-13-2010), jess_hawk (08-14-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #122
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Gina how neat! congrats on DS engagement & DD's break up! Praise God!!!!

news on my brother: when he was thrown in jail for 4 days, they put him in what they call, "God's Pod" and there they have daily bible study & prayer etc. He wrote us all a letter in there (on his own, wasn't asked of him) saying how much he has realized he's distanced himsef from all of us and how many tears we've cried over his abusive lifestyle and how much we still love him; said he cant believe that after how he's lived how we can still love him & asked for our forgiveness. Since then I hear from him daily & we're praising God for that big miracle! All I have to say is prayer works, which I knew before, but just had to say it aloud.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (08-14-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #123
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Gina: So great things worked out right for both your children.

Julie: I hope your brother is strong enough to keep up the good work.

Tomorrow I turn 55. Frank has a few things planned, one includes a ball winder! I can't wait! We have plans for the whole weekend, then he returns to work for five days and then he is off work for two whole weeks. I am so excited!!! The day after my birthday is the anniversary of my accident, and I shall call it the day of the Miracle because I am still here, in one piece, walking, living, loving!!!

Anyways, hi to everyone! Have a good weekend!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (08-18-2010)
Old 08-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #124
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
Tomorrow I turn 55.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I have boxer shorts almost done (I made a measuring error in adjusting my pattern... so will fix them after Mike goes home). If you pm me your mailing address I will send them as soon as I fix them.

Gina - glad to hear that things are going well in your life! Congrats to your DS.

My brother has a new girlfriend, the girl that he was in an 'exclusive non-dating relationship' (huh?) for a while. Hopefully I will meet her someday soon; mom and dad finally met her last weekend and said she was really nice (but they thought that about That Girl too, so the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned).

Julie, I'm so glad that things seem to be improving for your brother. I'll keep praying that it stays good!

Yesterday NYMike and I visited St. Louis, and I guest-played flute for WBS's band (the one I did the CD with). It was great to see everyone again and this morning we released a Cooper's Hawk. love releases.

Regarding my grandpa, they originally said they thought the cancer was in his one leg; now they think it got there from somewhere else and are searching for it. I'm still being hopeful, I guess, because at this point I don't want to consider the alternative.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (08-18-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #125
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Hey all,

Happy birthday Christine! Sorry its a bit late.

Gina, I'm working as a play assistant at a play scheme. I enjoy it but its tiring.

My brother came home from Uni yesterday and its been a little crazy what with all the washing and the fact that I can't get in the bathroom in the morning.

I started an Irish Hiking Scarf, its not progressing that fast but my cables look a lot better than the first time I attempted it. I blogged about it.

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #126
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Exciting happy news!I will be adopting a Senegal parrot named Klinger (though I intend to change that)! I have to get a cage and this weekend was simply a bad time to bring him home; so next time I am in town (at my parents') I will be going to pick him up!
NYMike took a picture of me with him that I will share as soon as he gives it to me, and of course I'll have many more to share once he comes home and settles in.

Other awesomeness: NYMike and I released a Cooper's Hawk Friday! I was a little concerned because when I caught her up, she did a lot of running around and not much flying to get away, but she had a very nice flight on the release so she'll do fine!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #127
jberry16
Instepping Out

I ran out of yarn, 30 sts left to put the edging on :(

Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #128
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Chris - Exchange students are fun! Congrats on being crazy enough to take one on. Just think of all of the everyday things you do, which will be new and exciting for a foreigner.
My Japanese host father got the biggest kick out of taking me grocery shopping, for instance.
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
cacunn (08-20-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #129
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Christine, BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Emily, any news on your grandpa? Hope he's doing better. YAY for your new bird! But why a new name? WHen you wrote Klinger was his name, I thought...Hmmm. Male bird, but dresses like a woman! LOL!

Rache, Glad the job is going well. The scarf, too!

Julie, were you able to get more yarn to finish the shawl? It's BEAUTIFUL! Really breathtaking!

Chris, I'm looking forward to stories about your exchange student. Should be interesting!

I've been helping DD get her classroom ready. The school used to be an open concept school (whoever thought of that was a total idiot!) and they closed in the classrooms. However, they're NOT FINISHED! It's ridiculous! School starts Monday, meet the teacher was last night and she couldn't get into her classroom until Wednesday afternoon! NOt only that, but the AC in her wing of the school isn't working. She had about 50 boxes of supplies and equipment to unpack, furniture to reassemble, and did I mention that the AC isn't working?!? Her room is a balmy 88 degrees. We got it looking presentable (there are still about a dozen boxes not unpacked) but they won't be allowed to put anything on the walls until the final walk-through when the contractor is finished. When will that be? who knows?!? But her "Meet the teacher" went well last night with all but one family coming.

Hope you're all doing well!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (08-20-2010), jess_hawk (08-22-2010), The.Knitter (08-23-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #130
jberry16
Instepping Out

[quote=G J;1297971]
Julie, were you able to get more yarn to finish the shawl? It's BEAUTIFUL! Really breathtaking!
[quote]
a fellow knitter on Ravelry is going to send me her last ~75 yards today or tomorrow! I'm so glad. thanks, I can't wait till it's done and I can block it and see it really open up and be really pretty!
glad you're getting some time with DD & helping her out. Any word on what made her quit it with Amit?

everyone else