Old 11-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #281
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Hey all!
I'm glad some of you are knitting, and even knitting socks!
No knitting for Christmas for me this year, I'm afraid. My time has been sucked by grading papers and doing statistics homework. I have a stats exam Wednesday at 8 am (*cries* - who gives a STATISTICS exam at 8 in the morning?) that I am going to suck at. I don't know why I have such trouble with statistics.
Anyway, life has been crazy... At some point I would like to clean my apartment before un-invited critters start moving in, but it remains a low priority item for the moment.
Copper just got a new, gigantonormous cage courtesy of my grandpa, who recently decided it was time to divide up the change he's been saving for his grandkids. I have to use two hands to lift my share. He's doing a little better than he had been, according to my mom, but I'd rather have things back to this time last year, when the biggest thing my family was worried about was that I wouldn't make it home from Missouri for Thanksgiving.

But, I did get my microcentrifuge tubes and racks, along with a couple of my chemicals, although they've had shipping issues with the tissue samples.

For your entertainment, this is what danced its way into my head when I opened the box with the micro tubes:

(a la Zazu from the Lion King)
"I've got a lovely bunch of microcentrifuge tubes (a deedly-deedly)
There they are, all laying in a pile (bum-bum)
No big ones, just small ones, in bags as big as your head..."
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #282
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
15 weeks today, & I got kicked 3 times in a row yesterday (or the baby is doing summer saults), most the baby has moved in one spell that I could feel. I love that feeling & can't wait to feel it throughout the days ahead. fun times :o)
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #283
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

LOL Chris!
So true. and 63.2% of statistics are made up on the spot anyway.

I think I did better on this test than the last one, at least...
Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #284
jberry16
Instepping Out

I just checked ravelry.com and they just had their 1,000,000th member join this evening! how cool is that?
If you haven't joined you really should. www.ravelry.com
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #285
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Hope ya'll are doing well. I have a throat infection/fever. Yuck.
On the knitting front, I'm almost done with a scarf for Olivia. One Christmas present down, four to go. If only I FELT like knitting!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #286
jberry16
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Hope ya'll are doing well. I have a throat infection/fever. Yuck.
On the knitting front, I'm almost done with a scarf for Olivia. One Christmas present down, four to go. If only I FELT like knitting!
I'm doing better today, woke up yesterday to my bedroom spinning and my loosing my toenails. not fun to be the only adult in the house and not being able to move, or look at anything. I'm better today & hated that feeling. Dh said that's what it's like to be drunk or hungover...no thank you! Never experienced that feeling before yesterday & I have no want to ever be that sick/helpless again.
Thank God for neighbors, father in laws and hubby's good manager who let him off so he could finish taking care of us. What a day from hell that was, hope nobody else in my house gets it.

Gina hope you're feeling better. Can you suck down some sugar free popsicles?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #287
G J
Instepping Out

Julie, I'm feeling better, but still have a low-grade fever. Are YOU feeling better? Was it a bug or pregnancy related? Poor thing! I can't imagine how hard it was for you!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #288
jberry16
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Julie, I'm feeling better, but still have a low-grade fever. Are YOU feeling better? Was it a bug or pregnancy related? Poor thing! I can't imagine how hard it was for you!
I am feeling better, no vomiting today, little dizziness. I'm keeping everything down & can get up. No help today even though I had 2 people offer. Well I take that back, I had a neighbor take Jacob to and from school for me, huge relief. The nurse at my OBGYNs office thinks it is/was a bug, she said if I couldn't keep anything down for 24 hours to come in and get an iv, but I was able to keep stuff down once the room stopped spinning. what a terrible feeling. So far today I've had a cup of peppermint tea, some sips of water, a 7up, some cheereos in a cup, salteen crackers, 2 chicken nuggets, 4 salteens with peanut butter, a bowl of jello and a popsicle. So I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm so hungry!
And the baby is strong and moving around. I dont remember feeling the baby kick my hand when on my tummy this early in the other pregnancies, but this one is STRONG! I can also see little kicks, so amazing! That was the best part of being sick yesterday & laying in bed, I could feel all that.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #289
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Hope you're feeling better, Julie! And Gina!

This thread has been kind of dead recently. I'm having a good week, myself, though busy and I'm annoyed because the university apparently doesn't have a 96-well thermocycler. 96-well plates are pretty standard, so this completely baffles me... It also means that (unless I magically come up with either an inexpensive way to get a new block for a really old thermocycler, or a few thousand spare dollars for a new thermocycler) I get to use at least 2,100 half-mL tubes that will have to be individually labeled and then NOT LOST, and NOT SPILLED, instead of 24 coded plates. (rows and columns get a coordinate system, and I just have to enter it into the computer). But I guess if I can't use plates, there's no reason for me to be sad about not having a multi-channel pipet...

Anybody want to make a donation of funding to my lab for $6,000 or so? No? Didn't think so...
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (11-19-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #290
G J
Instepping Out

Sorry, Jess, No funding coming from these parts! Hope you can find what you need!

Okay, so y'all can just shoot me. My DD (in this case, it stands for Dumb Daughter) is going out with the reject again this weekend. SERIOUSLY!?!? I'm ready to shoot HER! When she told me (and said, "Don't be mad", I stayed calm and asked what had changed...What MAJOR transformation has been made to warrant getting back together. She gave the same old song and dance that he "realizes he has a problem with anger and is working on it." I asked if he was in counseling and she said, "Does it take counseling to change?" I replied that to deal with the root of a major problem it DOES take counseling or you're just making temporary changes. She clammed up then. <sigh>