Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #41
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Sunshine is a natural anti-depressant.
I had a camp counselor once who also claimed that peeing was a natural antidepressant.
Oh, wait... that was "If you smile while you're in the latrine, you'll pee more."

(Camp counselors are wierd.)

But Christine - I agree with Chris. Talk to your doctor about other options!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #42
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've over the years tried (a long time ago) Prozac, Zoloft, Amitryptilene and most recently Diazepam and Celexa. There are no other options for me. I feel hopeless. I was even invited to my DD's house today and could not force myself to drive that far. I am dizzy, and fuzzy headed and nauseous. I don't feel good at all. When I asked my "doctor" about counselling he said "this is not my area of expertise" so he is not going to be any help to me at all. He was on holidays for the last two weeks and his father took over for him. His father is the one that asked about why I needed counselling and his father is the one that told me to take the Celexa, which made me quite sick a few days ago and I have not recovered from that yet.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #43
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Christine, Drugs aren't always the answer, and for you, it sounds like they're not. You may want to research natural remedies for depression and pain. I know there are several. Don't expect a family doctor to do counseling. Ask for a referral! Anyone in Chronic pain needs counseling to learn how to deal with the current reality. Just tell him that! (BTW, is this your new doc, or the old one you don't like?)

For those of you who are interested, here's an interesting link. Christine, there's some really good stuff at the bottom of that page and I know you were looking for some of it!

Chris, I totally agree!

Emily, LOL!

HOpe the rest of you are well! I miss hearing from you!
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (06-19-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #44
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

So, this weekend.
My brother's 21st birthday was Wednesday.
My dad's 50th was today (complete with massive surprise party... AND he was actually surprised)
My brother's triathlon tomorrow morning (You want me to get up at WHAT time? Good luck, bro... tell me how it went when you get home).
My cousin's wedding tomorrow afternoon.
Possible post-cousin's-reception family party (because my cousin's family is kind of strange and anti-social).
Father's day Sunday, with lunch hopefully cooked by my dad (on Mother's day, dad cooks. On Father's day, dad cooks... there seems to be a pattern here).
My oldest (in terms of length-of-friendship, not age) friend (Brenna) is coming to visit Sunday afternoon and staying until Monday.

why is it that EVERYTHING happens at the same time? lol. At least it's all good this time.

Sunday is going to be fun. I haven't seen Brenna in about a year, and we're going to be breaking out the world atlas to pare down what my cousin calls 'the bucket list of countries' to something doable in six months to a year. I mentioned thinking about an around-the-world trip after my PhD, and, although I have many friends with whom I would love to travel, Brenna is the only one who I could really see dropping everything to go do it. Really, Sunday's mapping activity is just fun for two girls with wanderlust (and currently bored stiff with everyday life), but I think both of us are hoping that it will evolve into a real trip.

QOTD: If you had unlimited money and time, what are the top five places on earth that you would like to visit?

Mine: (Currently, at least. The top three have been there since I was about eight, Madagascar has been a top-ten for just as long, and Angkor Wat is a fairly new one)
1. Antarctica
2. Ireland
3. Nepal or Tibet - somewhere in the Himalaya
4. Madagascar
5. Angkor Wat (Cambodia)
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #45
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Christine, sorry the drugs aren't working out. There are loads of other treatments out there though. Might be worth researching for yourself if the doctor is unhelpful, then you can ask for a referral.

Hey all,

I've finished the TA course, all passed, just need to hand in my folder. I had to do a presentation on Tuesday, the feedback was really positive, she said I looked confident and like I was enjoying it - that is not something that I am told a lot, usually when I'm standing in front of a group of people I am told that I look/sound nervous. It was nice to hear.

I have also been sent a load of work to do before I start my teaching course, it involves reading lots of Harry Potter, Roald Dahl and Lemony Snicket so I can mix that up with the more boring bits and maybe manage to get through it all. I'm off stationery shopping today to stock up on things.

My blanket is progressing slowly, since there was no tennis to watch this week and watching England play football (soccer) is akin to watching paint dry so I usually watch something else. I can't knit through Grey's Anatomy.

Anyway, I'm gonna go get ready to go out.

Have a lovely weekend!

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rachejm For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (06-19-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #46
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Gina: I've applied for the counselling and am waiting for my appointment. I've tried St. John's Wort as well as all the other things on the list above and nothing helps. I give up on the pills. The pain pills are what got me started on this terrible road I'm on now. They HAVE to be out of my system by now don't they? It's been three or four weeks since I stopped taking them altogether. I am having a hell of a time with depression. I keep getting told to go to a hospital and ask to be admitted, but I really don't want to do that. I don't like being in that hospital at all. And life goes on..........

P.S. Gina, thanks for that page, it's very interesting! Someone spent a lot of time on that.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #47
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
So, this weekend.
My brother's 21st birthday was Wednesday.
My dad's 50th was today (complete with massive surprise party... AND he was actually surprised)
My brother's triathlon tomorrow morning (You want me to get up at WHAT time? Good luck, bro... tell me how it went when you get home).
My cousin's wedding tomorrow afternoon.
Possible post-cousin's-reception family party (because my cousin's family is kind of strange and anti-social).
Father's day Sunday, with lunch hopefully cooked by my dad (on Mother's day, dad cooks. On Father's day, dad cooks... there seems to be a pattern here).
My oldest (in terms of length-of-friendship, not age) friend (Brenna) is coming to visit Sunday afternoon and staying until Monday.

why is it that EVERYTHING happens at the same time? lol. At least it's all good this time.

Sunday is going to be fun. I haven't seen Brenna in about a year, and we're going to be breaking out the world atlas to pare down what my cousin calls 'the bucket list of countries' to something doable in six months to a year. I mentioned thinking about an around-the-world trip after my PhD, and, although I have many friends with whom I would love to travel, Brenna is the only one who I could really see dropping everything to go do it. Really, Sunday's mapping activity is just fun for two girls with wanderlust (and currently bored stiff with everyday life), but I think both of us are hoping that it will evolve into a real trip.

QOTD: If you had unlimited money and time, what are the top five places on earth that you would like to visit?

Mine: (Currently, at least. The top three have been there since I was about eight, Madagascar has been a top-ten for just as long, and Angkor Wat is a fairly new one)
1. Antarctica
2. Ireland
3. Nepal or Tibet - somewhere in the Himalaya
4. Madagascar
5. Angkor Wat (Cambodia)
Your post made me tired. Hope you enjoy your event filled weekend.
As for the QOTD my answers would be.....
1. Ireland
2. Germany
3. Scotland
4. England
5. Australia

Mainly I just wanna see Ireland, someday. But I'd love to go to Germany too. I think it's important to see the countries my great great grandparents came from..

Christine, hugs! I dont have any other info for you that wasn't already given or suggestions. sorry.

Gina I hope DD stays away from A. Maybe she's feeling like she needs to be with someone because of DS being so close to his GF? Maybe she doesn't realize this and it's in the back of her mind, just a thought. My deacon once told me that you have to kiss many frogs before you find your prince.
the hair hat is funny & I love your sewing projects, very pretty (elegant) material. Nice job!
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (06-19-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #48
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
QOTD:
New Zealand, Australia, Greece, England, Scotland or Ireland (okay, let's just make a trip of the UK!), Somewhere in Asia, not sure where....

I've been to the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Belgium, Israel, Canada (both coasts, not the middle), and Mexico.
So let's add to the QOTD: Where have you already traveled? When, where, why?
Right after i graduated high school, my family went to Europe. My mom's sister was living in the Netherlands and my oldest sister was studying in Germany. We rented an uncle's RV and drove through Europe for two weeks. About 10 years ago, we were given a trip to Israel with Ray Vander Laan, who does the videos, "That the World May Know." Awesome trip! Made the Bible come alive! Canada: Honeymooned in Victoria, Anniversary trip to Toronto, Niagra Falls, etc., Mexico, Tijuana in High school and a little town not far from Brownsville, TX a couple of times with the inlaws during spring break.

Emily, your weekend sounds busy, but fun! Enjoy every minute!

Rache, YAY on finishing the class well! Can you be a TA now or do you have to finish more classes?

Christine, Unless your hospital has a really good psych ward for depression, don't check in unless you are suicidal. Most US hospitals have psych wards, but they treat mostly substance abuse and aren't equipped for depression. The meds you were on are probably NOT out of your system yet. They get in your muscles, which is one reason exercise will help you and I'm SO glad you went to your aquatics class. Glad you liked the link. The stuff at the bottom is really good.

Julie, I wish they would stay apart, but they're together every day. Yesterday, they made dinner for his family. It was something E knew she wouldn't like, but A liked it, so she made it. WHY!?! She'd be mad if I made it at home!
I like the fabric I used for the decor stuff, too. I got it for more than 75% off and have a lot of extra. I'm going to make a cornice box next week. I've never done that before, so we'll see how it goes! Nick (DS) is going to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (06-19-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #49
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Gina's QOTD, where have we been and why?
I'll start with the states first; most of these were camping trips.
Texas, OK, KS, NE, SD, WY, NV, CA, CO, AZ, NM (duh), (honeymoon in Branson,) Missouri, (rest of honeymoon @ drag strip in) Illinois/Indiana We were in both states (I think) because the dragstrip is very close to the border of one of them, if I'm wrong I'll come back on here and correct myself. & then I flew into SC with a layover in GA (if that counts, since I only saw the airport).
Never been to Mexico, never wanted to go; seen it, just never crossed the border.
Flew to Toronto, for World Youth Day in 2002? to see Pope John Paul II, very incredible & very moving.

Guess that's it.

Gina, that sucks; she's trying to please him because she doesn't want to be alone, she likes being engaged. (that's my thought anyway)
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #50
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Christine - I hope you figure something out!

Gina - still saying prayers for your DD!

Originally Posted by G J View Post
So let's add to the QOTD: Where have you already traveled? When, where, why?
With my family I've been to about 39 states - we've been traveling the country since I was two. On my own, I've done Alaska, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. (I've never been to Hawaii, Oregon, Arkansas, or Connecicut)
The family has also been to Quebec and Ontario.
When I was thirteen I spent two weeks in Japan with Sister Cities, which has an exchange program between the middle schools.
In 2006, three weeks in Ecuador for a tropical biology course.
In 2008, semester in Australia (with a stop at the airport at New Zealand. New Zealand and Washington are my 'Blue Spots' - places where I've only been to the airports. I have a world map where I stick pins in all of the places I've been, and I use blue pins for 'airport only' (red is for 'residence,' green for school trips, yellow for travel on my own/with friends, and white for family)
In 2009, Jamaica and Grand Cayman, cruise with the cousins.

Stories told at Dad's party: Dad and Dan bought my younger cousins (including the 17-yr-old) and my brother margaritas in Jamaica... at 8 am... before they went to do a four-wheeler excursion. Following this was a story about how, in college, dad and his best friends went out four-wheeling through a certain area of our hometown after closing down the bars one night... and wound up flipping a vehicle.

There's a reason my mom tells Dad and his best friend (who kind of scared me as a kid but now I know how awesome he is: he went ice climbing in Nepal last year) that they can't hang out if they're going to tell college stories in front of their kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (06-22-2010)