Old 05-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
UruzPhoenix
1st Leg of the Journey

the Amish do it as well.

OTN
more socks.... pics of past projects up at my blog.

my knitting blog
HeathenWytch on Ravelry
UruzPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
I get like this too. I have to be really far from a mistake in order to NOT frog it and take it out. I made something for my sister and noticed that there were two mistakes and it drove me crazy.

I obsessively show other people my mistakes as well. I think it makes me feel better if I show them where I screwed up as opposed to the idea of them finding it on their own and then not saying anything about it. Plus I tend to point out mistakes that other people would never notice on my own work.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Art in its various forms...
Hi!

Make no mistake, what we create as knitters IS an art form. We apply energy and thought and love to nothing more than sticks and string and make something beautiful or useful AND beautiful.

Having been a professional artist for a long time, I can tell you that the two things an artist MUST know are where to start and when to stop!

If you spot a mistake on a finished piece, or one that's way far back from where you're currently knitting, fix it if you can. If it's not worth the effort to ditch most of what you've done and the error isn't all that glaring then go on and FINISH it. Then LET IT GO!

There is another creation just waiting for you to do and next time, with what you've learned on the latest project, you'll do even better.

If you're unhappy with your finished pieces, study up on finishing techniques or just plain pay attention when you're finishing and make sure you haven't neglected or slopped over something. Do that and I promise you're pieces will improve!

Meanwhile, lots of love to all my knitting artist friends out there! What you're doing with your art form is sorely needed today in the world. So keep knitting!

Much love,
Ruthie
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Originally Posted by trvvn5 View Post
I get like this too. I have to be really far from a mistake in order to NOT frog it and take it out. I made something for my sister and noticed that there were two mistakes and it drove me crazy.

I obsessively show other people my mistakes as well. I think it makes me feel better if I show them where I screwed up as opposed to the idea of them finding it on their own and then not saying anything about it. Plus I tend to point out mistakes that other people would never notice on my own work.
Hi, Sweetie!

Just wanted to let you know that nothing is "without flaw". If you create something and do the best you can, then offer it to your audience with a happy heart. I wouldn't want to watch a movie and have the director cut in with all the things he considers mistakes, would you? I just want to enjoy the movie!

So when you share your work with YOUR audience, all they're really interested in is the visual and tactile impact the work creates. If you screwed up a stitch or two.....so what? That's between you and the Grand Poobah of Stitches! Don't let it be a distraction from the beauty you've created.

Hope this helps you enjoy sharing your work with others more!

Ruthie
etoilechaude (05-21-2010), trvvn5 (05-21-2010)
Old 05-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #15
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Personally, it's like playing piano for others. If I make a mistake, few notice or care, but it bothers the heck out of me.

I've never been completely satisfied with anything I've knitted or crocheted.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #16
etoilechaude
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi, Sweetie!

Just wanted to let you know that nothing is "without flaw". If you create something and do the best you can, then offer it to your audience with a happy heart. I wouldn't want to watch a movie and have the director cut in with all the things he considers mistakes, would you? I just want to enjoy the movie!
This helped me a LOT! I have a piece, and it's currently on display for a class I'll be teaching in a couple months... I literally ripped ANYTHING and EVERYTHING out that wasn't perfect because I knew it was a store sample. Honestly now that it's been in store for a couple months I KNOW the people who see it would have never ever noticed the slightest mistake. It's really hard for me to put work on display (especially if I'm going to teach how to do it) if it's not perfect, but your movie analogy is great!

Just wanted to say thanks!

EvanP on Ravelry (Hey that's rhymes!)
etoilechaude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etoilechaude For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (05-21-2010)