Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #31
badboy1cdx
Ribbing the Cuff

Growing up, my parents never really respected anyone that had a bunch of tattoo's or guys that had a bunch of piercings. I was always told that such displays would really hinder me in future career options. Personally, I don't think I'm all that close-minded about body decorations and couldn't really say if what I've been taught is true or not. I know that when I was in the Navy, the men were not allowed to have piercings and as a teenager working in a fast-food joint, the workers had to remove any piercings and cover the holes with tape. (Shrug) Make of it what you will.

My dad never denied the fact that he did have a tattoo, but he always stressed the fact that it was in a location where no-one would know about it unless he wanted them to. Following his advice I did get one tattoo myself while in the navy, but, like him, put it in a place where it wouldn't normally be seen. It's a picture of the US submarine service "silver dolphins" and means quite a bit to me. This is a representation of it:

Overall, I think the point my parents were trying to teach me was that if I was to get some work done that it should really mean something as others might not be very accepting of it. Maybe the people who have asked you about your piercings see them in the same sort of way my parents did and are subtly trying to get you thinking along the same lines.
badboy1cdx is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #32
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Originally Posted by badboy1cdx View Post
Overall, I think the point my parents were trying to teach me was that if I was to get some work done that it should really mean something as others might not be very accepting of it. Maybe the people who have asked you about your piercings see them in the same sort of way my parents did and are subtly trying to get you thinking along the same lines.
See. I think herein lies my issue with the question in the first place. Its not anyone's place to be suggesting anything about what I do with my body. There's judgement in the question. I just wish people had the capacity to live and let live. To look at someone who is different and think, thats not really something I'd do, but thats cool for them.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trvvn5 For This Useful Post:
bambi (05-23-2011)
Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #33
bowl510
Casting On

I have 2 tatoos. One on the back of my leg of a bull skull which represents that I am a Taurus. The other is on my left shoulder and it is a picture of my cat. I had this cat for 19 years before she passed away from old age 2 years ago. She is on my shoulder as a reminder of my very first cat that I had after I moved out from my parents. When I was growing up the thought of getting a tatoo was unthinkable. My parents did not agree with tatoos. So I waited until I was in my 30's to get my first tatoo.
bowl510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #34
KAYinPA
Casting On

trvvn5,
I've read some of your posts, and you sound like an intelligent, talented man. I wouldn't worry about why people are asking about the 'meaning' of your earring; there's as many reasons as there are people asking. If it were me, I'd ask simply out of curiosity, because I hadn't seen it before. Women tend to wear certain types of earring styles. Our 'younger generation' may wear something different, and if it's not recognizable, as in my nephew's tattoo, I might wonder from where it came, if I wanted one, or just plain curiousl I've hesitated at times to ask those personal questions, because I didn't want to give an impression of 'judgement', when that was certainly not intended. So, I just say 'nice earring', and go on.
...from the 'other side' of the river...
KAYinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #35
KAYinPA
Casting On

...OK, so what does 'trvvn5' stand for??? **KIDDING!! ***
KAYinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #36
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Some people are just nosy. I get offended when a perfect stranger asks me personal things. I just say, Why do you want to know? That usually shuts them up. But the lady might just have asked you because she was curious and it fascinates her. I work in a place where I see people with interesting things all the time and I ask about them. I'll admit, I'm guilty. The latest one was a lady who had a purse made of a license plate. Another lady had a purse with pictures of all her grandchildren. Come on, you know you gotta ask.

I grew up in the hippie fashion craze in the 1960's. The 70's it was the disco era. The funniest thing I saw was a guy dressed in a fur coat like a pimp, 6 foot 7, wearing 8 inch platform shoes, having to duck through the door to get into the club. In the the 80's it was the goth thing. Your old lady probably has a raccoon coat and a flapper dress hanging in the back of her closet. The fads may change, but people in all generations have done this. You're always going to find some old person who doesn't like it and thinks you should be more conservative. They were always telling the kids to stop protesting, cut their hair, and get a job back then.

I don't even bat an eye when I see those strange fashions now. But then, I live in the same apartment building as my adult twin sons so I see it every day. They're into the punk band scene with the studded leather jackets, mohawks, and green hair. They're really nice kids, just look strange. It gives the neighbors something to talk about. Recently, the twins decided their job prospects would be better if they both dyed and cut their hair conservatively. They haven't looked alike for ten years. I really have to look hard to tell the little stinkers apart now. Normal is strange.

Rick Nelson, song Garden Party: You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself.

Last edited by fatoldladyinpjs : 05-23-2011 at 10:01 AM.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #37
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
Some people are just nosy. I get offended when a perfect stranger asks me personal things. I just say, Why do you want to know? That usually shuts them up. But the lady might just have asked you because she was curious and it fascinates her. I work in a place where I see people with interesting things all the time and I ask about them. I'll admit, I'm guilty. The latest one was a lady who had a purse made of a license plate. Another lady had a purse with pictures of all her grandchildren. Come on, you know you gotta ask.
I can relate to this, but is it nosy? Just why does a person have a purse made with a license plate? I am interested in things and people and like to talk to them and ask questions, I also give out a lot of information about myself. It just seems natural to me, being friendly not being judgmental. If people don't want anyone to notice them or say anything to them maybe they shouldn't carry, dress, decorate themselves etc. so as to be noticed. (I'm not saying I wish they would, but I do wish they wouldn't be offended if I notice.) I'm a conservative person myself (at this stage of my life), but I've been around the block and seen a few things and am pretty live and let live. But I don't get people being offended because someone talks to them or asks them questions about something about themselves. Answer them or tell them you don't want to, but I think it is being pretty judgmental to think they are being condemnatory for being interested in why someone might have blue hair for instance. It sort of seems to me such things are an invitation to conversation. I'm not talking about being preached at or put down or ridiculed, but honest conversation.

My husband stands out in most groups, always has. He doesn't do it purposely to be noticed, he just looks the way he wants to, but he is not offended if someone asks him about the way he looks. In fact he is self confident enough not to get bent out of shape if someone makes a negative comment (this doesn't happen much anymore).

What I'm mostly saying is why can't people talk to each other anymore? Do people have to be so individualistic that they each have a little box around themselves and maybe a no trespassing sign? I'm just naive enough to think that a person who has a Mohawk might like to tell his/her story. Maybe I should put a disclaimer here...I live in a small town and have always lived in smaller communities. I think there is a different feeling with city folks, but I still don't get it. If I do travel through a city I talk to people and I have to admit a lot of the folks act like they are surprised to have anyone talk to them.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #38
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
What I'm mostly saying is why can't people talk to each other anymore? Do people have to be so individualistic that they each have a little box around themselves and maybe a no trespassing sign? I'm just naive enough to think that a person who has a Mohawk might like to tell his/her story. Maybe I should put a disclaimer here...I live in a small town and have always lived in smaller communities. I think there is a different feeling with city folks, but I still don't get it. If I do travel through a city I talk to people and I have to admit a lot of the folks act like they are surprised to have anyone talk to them.
I grew up in a small town as well. And I've been told on multiple occassions that I have Irish charm. I have no problems talking with people and I'm very open about things as well. I can usually see why people ask about my tattoo. I think tattoos tend to have meaning. It when they ask about the piercings that I get confused. I think this situation would have bothered me less had she asked, "Does that piercing mean something?" as opposed to "What does that piercing mean?" There's an underlying assumption in the later question as opposed to the former. And I think I've just become used to being judged by an older generation for my eccentricities that I'm a little trigger happy on the offended front. But you're right Merigold. We should be able to talk to one another about things we're curious about. Looking back on this situation now some time later, I'm realizing that I was a little quick to be offended.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #39
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanks for the thoughtful response trvvn5. I have been known to cry at no trespassing signs. I hate to be shut out of beautiful places, but I also understand why it has come to be that way. People are disrespectful of other people's property, destroy and throw trash around. The same is true in human relations. I wish we could all free free to be open, but people have had trash thrown on them. I look for a better day.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #40
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I think questions like that are rude and intrusive. And I do not think they are sincere about really wanting to know why or what. I think their question is a ruse to pronounce judgment on your piercings. And the questions are forcing you to justify what they clearly do not like.

Their questions are like a fist in a velvet glove. I detest this line of questioning.
Really gets my hackles up, can you tell?

If they were your friends, they wouldn't need to ask. Anyone else shouldn't ask.

That said...you can usually tell the subtle difference between "fist" questioning and the sincere questioning.

But, I personally don't ask questions like that. Not even of my own adult children. I wait it out...and usually figure it out for myself. Or they eventually comment and a lightbulb goes off in my head. But the casual acquaintance...the person you rarely see, the person you just met, the person that you will never see again...why do they need to know your reasons? They're either pronouncing judgment, or they are just plain nosy.

Some folks have absolutely NO FILTER on their mouths.
Whatever ever is rattling around in their heads just rolls right out that big mouth.

Amen.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote