Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Ehlyah
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Ehlyah
Doubleknit socks
While I've done some DKing before, it's always been in very plain stockinette and all the tutorials I've found for DK socks are just plain stockinette socks. Not that there's anything wrong with those, but I was wondering if it would be possible to do patterned socks in the same way. I'm thinking, for example, of these socks.
The way I see it, as long as I make sure not to cross my yarns between the two socks, I should be fine. Can anyone confirm this?
Ehlyah is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
What exactly do you mean by 'double knit?' Do you mean a reversible sock? Or two socks at one time on the same needle?

The term is generally used as a weight of yarn and knitting in such a way as to make the fabric reversible. It does have a few other meanings on occasion, but those are the most common.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Ehlyah
Casting On

I meant as in knitting two socks at the same time.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Ah.. in that case I don't see why you can't knit as fancy as you want.

These books have socks knit two at a time and there are many fancy patterns.
http://www.amazon.com/2-at-Time-Sock...5488902&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Toe-Up-2-at-Ti...d_bxgy_b_img_b

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Ehlyah (06-02-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Ehlyah
Casting On

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Double knitting, 2 at a time...
Hi!

From your original post I got the impression you might be talking about knitting two socks at the same time but ONE INSIDE THE OTHER.

Melissa Morgan-Oakes' books are absolutely great for knitting two at once on a long circular needle, but if you want to do them as though double knitting them inside each other then here are some references for you.

I've knit this way, one inside the other, for leg warmers and they were great fun to do but I haven't tackled the socks yet. I will though since it's yet one more way to knit socks, which I love!

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

The knitty article will give you a great shortcut for casting on. That's the one I use all the time, it's so much simpler and I'm always assured that I won't get halfway through and find out I've got the pieces connected by one stitch back in the beginning!

This should keep you busy! Have fun with it, it's super!

Happy (double) knitting!

Ruthie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhiXmmrQ0aQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHtC_HlKz3o&NR=1
Ehlyah (06-02-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I thought you were intending to do (self)lined socks - as in double knitting with reversible sides.
Sample video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SJ8qd713_g
I have made a test piece of that lately for a pot holder and it looks great. I yet have to get the energy to do a whole pot holder.
With just two at the same time: go ahead! It would be sad if it would not work. I rather do my socks one after the other, though.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Ehlyah
Casting On

I did mean to do two socks at once with one inside the other. The knitty article is what put me onto it, but they only describe basics. Now to figure out how to do toe up socks like this. Oh well, nothing like frogging a couple of times to learn things.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Those books won't help you then if you're meaning to do one inside the other. I doubt there's many patterns for that and I can see why the ones you found were very simple stockinette.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Inside each other socks! :o)
Hi!

When you're doing socks with one inside the other you can actually do any pattern you want that can be worked in the round.

What's happening is that the right side of the inside sock is facing you, just as the right side of the outside sock is. You just happen to have the stitches from the inside one alternating on the same needle with the stitches from the outside one and you're knitting each alternate stitch with it's own ball of yarn. So whatever pattern you're doing on the top one will also be done on the inside one.

Sorry, that sounds a lot more complex than it actually is. Once you just go for it and do it, no matter how dizzy you might get at first, suddenly the penny will drop in the slot and you'll go "BINGO! I've got it!".

A couple of things I'd like to recommend to start with. First, it's helpful for your first project to use different colored yarns for the inside and outside pieces. Yes, that'll mean you'll be making two sets of whatever you decide to make, but it'll be a lot easier to do in the beginning. As you become more comfortable with the technique you can move on to using the same yarn for both pieces.

Second, select a pattern that has no complexities like turning heels. The Knitty article gives great directions for this but for my first inside-out project I made leg warmers, one in creme and one in blue and then later made another set just like them! They really came in handy for Christmas presents last year and I loved doing them. (I wrote the pattern for them so if anyone wants it let me know and I'll be glad to send it to you!)

As soon as I have the leisure to try out doing the socks this way, complete with turned heel and using the same yarn, I'll be getting back on the double-knitting-inside-out bandwagon for sure!

Just keep checking your project as you go to make sure you haven't accidentally knit any stitches together (just a little tugging the layers apart as you turn your work will tell you if you have) and pay attention to the finished size of your pieces. The inner leg warmers came out smaller than the outer ones for me. I suspect that's just the way I was knitting but it might be something you want to be alert for.

Let us know how it goes for you. It's an exciting technique that I'm hoping you'll really like!

Happy knitting, (times 2)

Ruthie