Old 05-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

gauging interest on "silly" yarns for sale/swap
went overboard with the mill ends and other closeout sales at joann's this last year and my stash has stuff in it i just don't know how to use, or when i tried using for 'beginners' projects, just didn't work. (need to stick with the cottons, acrylics, and other basics for now.)

i found a group on ravelry for helping identify mill ends and other mystery yarns, so i'll know what material, size, etc, so will be utilizing that. but once i have that information, is there even a 'market' for it here? i'm talking about some boucles, fuzzy worms, ribbon types, etc, in various colors.

i'd be interested in trading for variegated/striped acrylics, cottons, and extra pieces for the denise interchangeable set (color not important).

will be a month or two until the yarn identifiers start trickling in from ravelry, so there's time to answer here, no rush. thanks all!
OTK: 10-stitch blanket that i'm not liking, modified arrowhead pattern scarf/cowl that i'm also not liking, more almost lost wash cloths, and SOCKS SoCkS sOcKs for the first time. and now 2nd time. and now 3rd time...
XtopherCB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XtopherCB For This Useful Post:
TabathaCic (05-31-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

You'll be unlikley to find someone wanting sort-of identified yarn for a specific project.

You might find someone who knits for charity, who might take a bag of mixed leftovers to work with.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RochesterKnitter For This Useful Post:
XtopherCB (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

well, they wouldn't be "sort of identified:, they'd be actually identified, based on pictures, texture, weight, yardage, sizing, colors, burn tests, etc, and what's in other people's stashes still with labels. just need time to get that information.

but i know what you're saying, some crafters just couldn't possibly use something without buying it first-hand, in-person, with all of its pedigreed papers and rabies shots...
OTK: 10-stitch blanket that i'm not liking, modified arrowhead pattern scarf/cowl that i'm also not liking, more almost lost wash cloths, and SOCKS SoCkS sOcKs for the first time. and now 2nd time. and now 3rd time...
Old 05-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,137 Times in 2,646 Posts
It's not really so much that people won't buy yarn from other people, I think it's more a case of you bought yarn most of the knitters here won't really feel a need for. We probably all have stash yarn that makes us wonder, what was I thinking? That's not to say nobody would ever want it, you just might have a hard time finding the right person. Often when someone runs out of a specific yarn they search and search trying to find it. That could happen for you.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
XtopherCB (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

which leaves me with ravelry stashing and possible swaps/selling, or listia, ebay, etc. and that's ok, just need to know my starting point. thanks ladies
Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,433 Times in 3,112 Posts
X, when you're ready, why not try some photos of the yarn? Knitters are always increasing their stash and the same qualities that attracted you to the yarn will probably attract others. It's worth the try.
Good luck with it!
XtopherCB (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

and i did... or, rather, i was doing it, and finally finished. have 7 yarns (2 pix each) in my ravelry stash. used those pix to post to the ravelry mystery yarn group as well. i'm at http://www.ravelry.com/people/XtopherCB/ and stash is at http://www.ravelry.com/people/XtopherCB/stash if anybody here wants to play 'name that yarn!' starring wink martindale...
Old 05-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,433 Times in 3,112 Posts
Oh, good. There are some lovely yarns there.
Mystery yarn #4 looks like a variation of the Martha Stewart yarn, Mambo.
http://marthastewart.lionbrand.com/m...fts/mambo.html
XtopherCB (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

yeah, they're lovely, but they're tough for me to work with. thanks for the mention about the martha stewart one. it definitely is in that vein, so i added that possibility to the ravelry description, in case it jogs somebody's memories.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

I'm interested in yarns #6 and #7. I knit prayer shawls for our church group and these look like something we could use. Please let me know how much you want for them!!!

Thanks,
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote