Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

OT cloth diapering
My first baby is due the end of this month and the hubby and I would like to give cloth diapering a try. As with everything else, cloth diapers have gone high tech....while the "old" Gerber pre-folds and rubber pants are still made but now they also make G Diapers, Bumkins and Bum Genius that as far as I can tell are self contained units and look like disposables but are washable. They are $$$$. So my question is have any of you done cloth diapering and have a recommendation?
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Wow I didn't think anyone used cloth diapers anymore.
With that I used them on my two because that is what we used back then. I like to fold mine so that they fit the baby better. I also used four diaper pins. I would put two at the waist and then grab the diaper from the back of the leg and make it semi tight and then pin again. So that there would be one at each side of the waist and one at each leg. My mother taught me that saying nothing could fall out. Nothing ever did either.The kind I used were one big diaper no
pre-folds. I also used a diaper pail after you rinse the poop off the diaper. In the pail I used just water and washed after a day. So really every day I was doing diapers.
I guess it didn't bother me to wash them every day or so, that was just the way we did it back in the 60's.
So good luck on what ever you choose for the baby.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerbread For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-01-2010)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
I have nothing to really offer here other than encouragment. I think its a great environmental approach to diapers. One child on average will create 1 ton of diapers in one year. 70 diapers per week, 52 weeks = 3640 diapers a year in a landfill. So I think its great that you are looking into this. Also, a lot of places have diaper services which are about half the cost of buying disposable diapers.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trvvn5 For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-01-2010)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

DS is 19 now. I used cloth for the first 8-9 months. I had been given a diaper service for 4-5 months, then washed on my own. After about 9 months, when he got just too wiggly, I gave up and went disposable since you could slap them on much faster.

Even then there weren't those fancy shapped ones like you mentioned, at least I don't think so - just ones w/extra bulk in the center. I'd probably get a pack of fancy ones just to be able to try them, but mostly use regular ones.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-01-2010)
Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I used cloth with both my girls. I had diaper service the whole 2 yrs with my first, but I only had it for about 4 mos with the second one then I did them myself.

If you can swing it a diaper service is wonderful.

I kept a pkg of disposables for an emergency or a visiting friend who's child needed changing though. And they come in handy for say a trip to an amusement park all day where it would be a pain to hang to the dirty ones till you got home.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-01-2010)
Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Thanks for all the encouragement ! I'm not sure I want to start with a diaper service right off the bat - the one in our area would end up costing about $3500/yr and they of course have contracts you have to sign. I want to see how we like them and how much we use them before going that route b/c if we have to use daycare they will not accept cloth and when we travel I will most likely use disposable (they make biodegradeable disposables now) to avoid carrying dirties with me.
Even though I say prefold - they are the flat cotton diapers that you have to fold and pin - although they make pinless clips for them now. They even make flushable liners (they look like WetOnes) that you put in the diaper so you can pull the poop out and just flush it away rather than rinsing the whole diaper etc etc.
Any thoughts on how many of them I should buy to get us started ? They were not a very popular item on our registry.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I was told when I started the diaper service that newborns use about 90 a week. I'm sure it varies considerably though. If you're doing your own a couple days worth at least would probably be a good idea.

My kids were born in a time when disposables were in their infancy so they gave them rashes and were horrible in landfills. Nice to know that things have changed so much.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-01-2010)
Old 06-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
MellieThePooh
1st Leg of the Journey

We exclusively CD our son. If your primary goal is to save money, prefolds, snappis (instead of pins) and PUL wraps or wool soakers are the way to go. If you want to get fancy, sew your own pocket diapers (rita's rump is a great free online pattern) or buy some from a WAHM on Hyenacart or Etsy.

Gdipes are better than disposables, but more expensive than sposies and they still have the hyperabsorbent gel, so not as environmentally friendly as they claim they are!

It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the choices. Cloth dipes have come a long way. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to MellieThePooh For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-01-2010)
Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Jan - my brother and I were in cloth for the very same reason. Mom said the disposables gave us rashes and were leakier than cloth. I am going to do my own for a few months and see how much we use them. I have 12 and was thinking I would get 2 more 12packs. Thanks !!
Mellie - it's funny I was overwhelmed by all the disposable choices so I thought - cloth that's easy. OMG I feel like trying to decide how and what to buy has become my full time job. Saving money isn't necessarily my primary goal - although it would be nice. The hubby and I try to reduce our impact on the environment where we can and this seemed like something we could try. I put the search on hold for a while and now with less than a month to the due date I'm starting to panic b/c not much is available locally and I will have to order the pinless clips and liners. Since you are doing cloth, I am open to all the hints and tips you want to offer. I've never done cloth before. All the kids I babysat and nannied for were in disposables.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
yarncharmer
Knitting the Flap

My daughter's 11 now, and she was cloth diapered almost exclusively. We used some eco- and baby-friendly disposables from our food co-op on occasion, but mostly we used cloth. I bought some cloth diapers that were shaped like a disposable and had velcro attachments, and they needed to be covered with a water-resistent cover. There are so many cloth diapering options now, including some that the cover and diaper are all one piece, although these are the most spendy, I think, with the possible exception of a diaper service.

You might consider doing the old-fashioned rectangular style diapers in the newborn size because these are outgrown quickly and can then be used for burp cloths, etc. But not the ones available at KMart, Walmart, etc. You can order much nicer and more absorbent ones online. Then get the easier to use ones when the baby is bigger and wigglier.

I spent so much time researching diapering possibilities back then, and unfortunately I can't remember the brand names or websites that I ordered from, but I'll think about it and see what I can remember.
yarncharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yarncharmer For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (06-07-2010)