Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
laurebelle26
Casting On

Knitting with more than one color while knitting in the round
Ok this is the first time I am using circular needles. I chose to do a hat as it is my understanding is a good project to start with on these needles. My problem is I am unsure how to use them when we are talking about more than one color. Are there any instructional videos I can watch? Or do I add the two colors at the beginning regardless of when the pattern calls for each (first row of 99 sts calls for 5 knit of one color and 5 purl of the other until last four sts.) Thanks for any help!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
So you'll be doing vertical stripes? If so then you'll need to use both at the same time in a method called stranding (aka fair isle). Here's a video where I learned.
http://www.philosopherswool.com/Page...andedvideo.htm

There is also a video here under the video tab/advanced techniques.

It takes practice to learn w/o getting the stitches and floats too tight so be patient.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Thanks a mil...
Hi, Jan!

Thanks so much for this Philosopher's Wool video. It's awesome! And just something I was looking for only today to work into a design for the book!!!

Wow!

Happy Knitting,

Ruthie
Old 06-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
You're welcome, Ruthie! It helped me tremendously when I learned fair isle because I couldn't hold two yarns in one hand easily.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
laurebelle26
Casting On

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH! I was going crazy, this helps me greatly. And thanks for the encouragement, I will keep at it.