Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

Fishermen's Wool
I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is making something with the Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool? I have lived in TX for a long time, but was raised in Minnesota. I have not forgotten how painfully cold and brutal the winters can be there. Now that I've taken up knitting again I've been sending several scarf/hat/hand hugger sets back to friends and family who still live up in MN. Recently I purchased this Fishermen's Wool. It's 100% virgin wool containing lanolin. Says it makes garments water resistant in cold damp weather....hats, scarves, mittens remain wearable even when damp. I have found this yarn at both Hobby Lobby and Michael's, but only in neutral, heather shades. If there are more colors available I don't know about them. At first glance I thought it was a bit pricey, but there's 465 yds on a skein.

I can remember those good old days of playing in the cold and snow. We'd come inside just long enough to warm up, maybe have a cup of hot chocolate, get a fresh pair of dry, warm mittens and head outside again. So maybe for those of you who must endure cold winters you might want to look into this yarn. I know someone up in MN will be getting this scarf set for Christmas!

Oh! It also says it's perfect for felting.
Happy Knitting! Jeanie from TX
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It does only come in 'natural' shades, though there are some in marled colors too. Here's the page at Lion. You might be able to find other colors at Joanns.com if your local stores don't have all of them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
vaudiss
1st Leg of the Journey

If you want to play w/ dying you might be able to make your own shades of it Trying to convince the bf who dyes yarn to do this when we were out of other options but he didn't wnat to hank it :(

I'll try to remmeber to tell you how dying it works....

Hey I did it....I have an Etsy Store.... Viv's Stitches and Stuff
vaudiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've seen the Lizard Ridge blanket made with dyed FW natural. It looked really good. Let's see if I can find a picture... Yes, here it is http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=188553.0

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

It never occurred to me to dye the yarn. What a cool idea! Thanks! If I ever decide to give it a try I'll need your help.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Debbie
Working the Gusset

LB Fisherman's is pretty scratchy wool ... Patons Marino is much softer and with a coupon it is about the same price ... plus lots of pretty colors... it is my "go to" wool.
You can dye either one with kool-aide !

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree with you Debbie. The FW is scratchy, but I'm knitting this scarf set for "heavy duty" use when it's needed for sub-zero/blizzard conditions...when there's alot of snow to be shoveled etc. Thought it would be great too for mittens since they seem to get soaked so quickly when kids are out making snowmen and having snowball fights. Hope this yarn will be more water resistant. I much prefer using softer yarns to like Paton's Marino too. Hey, yet another "kool" idea...kool aid for dying! The pattern I'm using is called, "Shale Pleated (scarf).It's a sort of modified rib look. Very rugged looking and I think it will be toasty warm...scratchy, but warm! I'm getting lots of great tips today. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
bebedechocolate
Ribbing the Cuff

I love Fisherman's Wool. I use their natural colored skein for dyeing my own colors with kool aid and wilton's cake dye. It is very cost effective and it nice to work with.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Dari
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm doing an Irish Hiking scarf in this wool, and I love it. It's turning out just the way I want it to. Although the plies are a bit loose, I've found it to be a very nice yarn for the price.

"As an artist, the only thing I have to offer is the revelation of my soul."
-Eleonora Duse

I knit because sometimes it's the only way to keep from strangling stupid people.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

Dyeing Yarn
I am intrigued by the idea of dying yarn with Kool-aid. Are the colors permanent? How is this done? Such a cool idea!
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote