Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Acrylics
Originally Posted by gamerchik View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! I have only knit with cotton one time (a scarf) and I didn't like the way it didn't stretch as I was knitting, but the scarf looked pretty nice. Does the Mirasol T'ika cotton stretch at all, or is the non-stretchiness a cotton thing?

I actually really like knitting with wool and with wool blends, but I'm thinking about not using any "animal" yarns, so I thought I would reconsider acrylics/cotton.
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Red Heart Super Saver may be rough to work with but after a few washings it's soft.

If you mind working with rough I'd say Simply Soft. If the store you go to has the Eco you can even recycle some plastic bottles while you're not using animal fibers.
I forget the exact amount of bottles in a skein but one of my waterbed afghans would sure put a dent in the landfills.

[Petroleum based knitter, removing that nasty oil from the ground one skein at a time.]

When I think of blankets or afghan's I think acrylics. Red Heart or Caron are the brands I know. They are what my mom used and still uses. Some of my mom's crochet work is now over two decades old and still wearing/looking good. My mom made each of her children a graduation afghan. Then with she made afghans for each each of our spouses.

Less than two years ago I had to repair my wife's afghan because our (then) puppy had chewed on the corner (unless one of our children had nipped it with scissors). The hole was in a white stripe and I had some white acrylic on hand. I did some Internet research about repairing crochet and then I made the repair. The patch was difficult to find even though the afghan had aged and the two white yarns weren't a perfect match. The patch was made working with the tails/loose ends from the old yarn doubled up with a strand of the new yarn to bridge to the next tail. I guess that is what made the edges of the new "white" fade into the now "off" white of the old afghan.

Who ever said "Old acrylics never die" was right. You are more likely to find a close match to an old acrylic color. But just in case, my mom has now put balls of the leftover yarn with the afghans she has made for her grandchildren (my children). I guess she know if they get damaged I'll be able to repair them even after she passes on to the the next great adventure.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
MMario
Turning the Heel

Vanna's Choice is not bad, either. It was used in a project last year over at MenWhoKnit and people on the whole thought it worked well.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I second Vanna's Choice...
Old 07-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I love Knit Picks "Comfy" 75 cotton 25 acrylic. It comes in lots of colors and in bulky for quick and fluffy knitting.

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
sissyv
1st Leg of the Journey

I always use acrylic and blankets and afghans are all I make! I have lots of projects otn and one I making is bernat satin, one regular cotton (I'm going to sew it on to a fleece) and one is chenille. Good luck with your afghan making
sissyv is offline   Reply With Quote