Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Abbers1026
1st Leg of the Journey

OT: Paris
So today is my last actual day here before vacation...I'll be in Paris for a week...taking in all that is Paris...being that I have an odd obsession with the Eiffle Tower my boyfriend is concerned of what I'll come back with seeing as we already have towers all over the apt...but it other concern is that I'll come home with more yarn...it made me laugh...lol...but I just thought I'd share that I'll be gone for a week and if any of you have any suggestions on things that have to be done or seen in Paris let me know...

http://www.ravelry.com/people/abbers1026

OTN: cousin's afgan, baby blanket for co-worker
Abbers1026 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Debbie
Working the Gusset

You can see the Eiffel Tower from almost anywhere in Paris, so be sure to get your picture with it in the background every time you see it !!! Also, you can make reservations to eat in the restaurant in the Eiffel tower and not wait in the LONG lines to go up. I loved the gift shops there, but if you want to bring back little ET's to friends, buy them from the "street shops".

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Debbie
Working the Gusset

There are several yarn shops and you will find yarn in some "department" stores. And ... the pastry , yummmmm ....
Across the city with ET in background. From the top of the ET. Knitting Store. Goodies . HAVE FUN !!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small ET.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	54653  Click image for larger version

Name:	Small at the top.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	54654  Click image for larger version

Name:	small knitting shop.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	54655  Click image for larger version

Name:	Small yummy !.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	54656  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debbie For This Useful Post:
Abbers1026 (07-13-2010), bambi (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Debbie
Working the Gusset

OH, and be sure to look at the bottom of your souvenirs and make sure it says France instead of China on the bottom

Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Abbers1026
1st Leg of the Journey

ooo never thought to check the bottom...lol...will do for sure...me and my friend have already planned to do most of our gift shopping from the carts...on the plus side we get there the day after bastilla day so there should still be plenty going on esp with the tour de france also...

i esp can not wait for the food

Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Debbie
Working the Gusset

Enjoy every minute !

Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Dimpledapple
Turning the Heel

You should definitely check out the Pantheon! The crypt is really cool, and it's really worth doing the tour and climbing up all those stairs to the very top from where you can see the entire city (Eiffel Tower included, of course!). Afterward, you can walk over to the Jardins de Luxembourg. Great place to have a nice little picnic.

I'm a huge art history geek, so I think it's a good idea to take your time with the museums and churches. If you're really into art and architecture, then I recommend you reserve a whole day to visit the Louvre (likewise if you plan on venturing over to Versailles). You don't realize how huge these places are until you're actually there!

But since you'll be there for a whole week, I highly, highly recommend you simply take a map and go! Just walk around the Quartier Latin, up and down the Champs Elysees and all around Montmartre. Pairs has "les soldes" this time of year so you can even get some non-yarn shopping done! Don't be afraid to venture into less touristy areas. And don't forget to have at least one chocolate croissant! Hope your trip is fabulous

West Coast Oddball Knitters
Dimpledapple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dimpledapple For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Ooooh! J'adore Paris! You will love it!

Here's my list:

1. Le Musee D'Orsay -- this museum is full of Impressionist art, Art Nouveau and Art Deco. It's smaller than the Louvre and less intimidating.

2. L'Orangerie -- sit for a while and stare at Monet's Water Lilies. Divine!

3. If you are there on a Sunday morning head over to the Marché aux Oiseaux (the bird market.) All the other days, it's the flower market but on Sunday it's filled with birds and other small animals. It's right near Notre Dame.

4. If you can handle walking up a few hundred winding marble stairs (not kidding) check out the view from the towers of Notre Dame. Incredible.

5. Visit Montmatre. At dusk the view of the lights of Paris from Sacre Coeur is breathtaking. Butte en Vigne is a great restaurant there off the main square and less touristy (if that's possible!)

6. The Catacombs ( I know someone else mentioned them) are worth a trip. Be warned of lots of stairs and lots of walking.

7. Eat pastries at Lauderee. Especially the macarons. There are a few of them in Paris.

8. Have gelato at Amarino. There are a couple of them as well.

9. Have dinner at La Fourmi Ailée in the Latin Quarter.

Oh Gosh! Can you hide me in your suitcase and bring me along?

Here's a link to my blog posts about our trip to Paris last year if you are interested: Photobella's 365

Have fun! Dit "Bonjour" à Paris pour moi!

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
Abbers1026
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by zkimom View Post
Ooooh! J'adore Paris! You will love it!

Here's my list:

1. Le Musee D'Orsay -- this museum is full of Impressionist art, Art Nouveau and Art Deco. It's smaller than the Louvre and less intimidating.

2. L'Orangerie -- sit for a while and stare at Monet's Water Lilies. Divine!

3. If you are there on a Sunday morning head over to the Marché aux Oiseaux (the bird market.) All the other days, it's the flower market but on Sunday it's filled with birds and other small animals. It's right near Notre Dame.

4. If you can handle walking up a few hundred winding marble stairs (not kidding) check out the view from the towers of Notre Dame. Incredible.

5. Visit Montmatre. At dusk the view of the lights of Paris from Sacre Coeur is breathtaking. Butte en Vigne is a great restaurant there off the main square and less touristy (if that's possible!)

6. The Catacombs ( I know someone else mentioned them) are worth a trip. Be warned of lots of stairs and lots of walking.

7. Eat pastries at Lauderee. Especially the macarons. There are a few of them in Paris.

8. Have gelato at Amarino. There are a couple of them as well.

9. Have dinner at La Fourmi Ailée in the Latin Quarter.

Oh Gosh! Can you hide me in your suitcase and bring me along?

Here's a link to my blog posts about our trip to Paris last year if you are interested: Photobella's 365

Have fun! Dit "Bonjour" à Paris pour moi!
thanks for all the great info and ideas...the orsay is on our schedule already as i love impressionist art...we're also going up to giverny...the bird market/flower market seems sooo interesting...ill have to suggest that one for sunday...i know we're going to notre dame...just not what we're doing exactly...and montmatre is on the list of possible things...and after seeing your pictures of the catacombs that moved way up on my list...i think the food is one of the main things i'm looking forward too...less than 24 hours till I'm in the air on my way to Paris

Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
bambi
Working the Gusset

I'm going to Paris, too, but only for 4 days. Rick Steve's Paris guide is the best! Musee D'Orsay is at the top of my list and I haven't decided what else to see yet as there is SO much!!!

But I did download this adorable shawl pattern:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...el-tower-shawl

Maybe I should wait til I get to Paris to get yarn for it....

Happy Trails!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bambi For This Useful Post:
Abbers1026 (07-14-2010)