Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
tokmom
Turning the Heel

Silver sock pattern question
I feel stupid asking this, but it's been a long time making a pr of socks. I have used Silvers many times too!

I knit the cuff and went to do the heel flap of purls and slipped stitches. I got to row 32 and messed up the last row. Long story short, I tried to fix it but had to frog down a few rows to get it clean again. When I counted the rows that I had still knit, it was 14. That can't be right, because I didn't rip out that many rows. I'm completely boggled. All those V's are tiny, but I can't be that far off.
So, how long is the heel flap suppose to be? Right now it's about 2 or 2 1/2 inches long. I really hate to frog down to the cuff.

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

If it's slipped stitches, you'll have a big V and a little v to count. The big Vs are the slipped stitches and you'll only have one for every two rows. The little Vs are the actual rows. I'm guessing you're counting the big Vs which will be half of the number of rows you have.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
tokmom
Turning the Heel

Okay,that makes sense. Now I have 16 stitches from the cuff to the needle. Does that equal 32 rows?

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
tokmom
Turning the Heel

Anyone?

Tokmom on Raverly
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Mike
Working the Gusset

I don't know, I don't count either way. I count the bars. So I guess that's what I'd suggest doing, go inside a column or so and count the bars going up.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
tokmom
Turning the Heel

I'll try that. I'm determined to not rip the rest of those stitches out. The yarn is bamboo and it seems to split when it's been frogged.
I just know I didn't rip that many rows out and I had hash marks for the rows I finished. It makes no sense.

Tokmom on Raverly
Old 07-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
jpenguin
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to jpenguin Send a message via Yahoo to jpenguin
Kelly,

16 big V's would be right at 32 rows for your sock heel flap. If you are still in question then 2 1/2 inches long should be the correct measurement for the flap. I have a pattern that I am doing now that didn't even list the number of times to repeat rows 1 & 2 for the sock heal...just gave me 2 1/2 inches & that is for a woman's med/large sock.

Hope this helps you & you can finish that heel flap now. Happy Knitting!

OTN: Socks! Socks! & more Socks! for me for winter. I drive a school bus. BRRRR!!

Crocheting: Ripple Stitch Afghan in collegiate yarn from Hobby Lobby for DH.

UFO's: Ballet Wrap Sweater with Ovation Yarn; this thing keeps stareing at me to pick it back up. Braided Wrap with Therapy Yarn.
jpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
tokmom
Turning the Heel

Thank you! Now I can finish my sock and I learned something. I KNEW I didn't rip out that many rows.
YAY! No frogging!

Tokmom on Raverly