KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Gauge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112443)

gcp 03-08-2013 10:57 PM

Gauge

Hi,

I'm making a sweater that calls for a size 5 needle indicating that 1 inch=7 rows, and 5 stitches = 1 inch.

My Reality: 9.4 rows = 1 inch and 6.06 stitches = 1, inch.

My question is do I increase the size I want which means going from small = between large and 1x or do I increase my needle size? 6? Or 7?

Thought appreciated!!

Antares 03-08-2013 11:03 PM

I guess the answer to your question depends on what size garment you are trying to make. If you need the smaller size, then, of course, you'll need to use a larger needle to get the right gauge. If you want to make a larger size, you could use the size 5 needles and follow the smaller sized pattern (since your gauge is more stitches per inch than what is recommended).

Personally, though, I'd try to get the right gauge by using a larger needle. That way you'll have a pretty good idea of the final size of the garment.

Also note that in most patterns, it's more important to get the number of stitches per inch than the number of rows per inch. Most patterns allow you to add rows until you hit the right length.

Can you give us a name and/or link to your pattern, please?

gcp 03-08-2013 11:20 PM

Http://triciasvintagepatterns.ecrate...09-aran-cables

Can't find the pattern online.

I will try and figure out the guage by increasing the needle size. Any guide if I should go to a 6 or skip directly to a 7?

Thank you

GrumpyGramma 03-08-2013 11:32 PM

Good idea to try a larger needle size. More stitches per inch will make a tighter fabric and that's not what the pattern is calling for. It could make an appreciable difference. If I thought I were more likely to make gauge by going up 2 sizes, I'd try a needle 2 sizes larger first. It all comes down to trying whatever sizes until you get the one that works. If you're working cables, looser is better.

gcp 03-08-2013 11:38 PM

Thank you!

Fingers crossed

GrumpyGramma 03-08-2013 11:40 PM

What's the name of your pattern? What are you making? It might be on ravelry.com or someone might have it.

gcp 03-09-2013 12:26 AM

I looked on real very and it is not listed. I tried it with a 7 needle and 100 stitches (vs a 5 needle and 94 stitches)and it is still too small. So strange that I could be so far off. I'm even using the yarn recommended in the pattern.

gcp 03-09-2013 12:27 AM

I meant Ralvery. Ah the dangers of auto spell-check

suzeeq 03-09-2013 05:22 PM

The gauge is pretty small for size 5 needles - are they 5mm/8US -maybe? That would give you about 5 sts per inch. Always go up in needle size until you match the stitch gauge; the row gauge isn't quite as important as lengths are usually given in inches. Rather than CO 100 sts, try about 25 sts and knit for 3 or 4" and then measure your sts per inch, a larger piece will give you a more accurate measure.

gcp 03-09-2013 09:15 PM

The needle as per the pattern are size 5(3.75mm). I tried 7 and that did not work. Should I try 8 or 9 or throw the dice- haha.

Thanks much!!