It seems like I overestimated the difficulty of this project.
I definitely liked it; there were some techniques I hadn't used before (crocheted provisional cast on, picot bind off, etc.), and I think it turned out cute. (The top flares out a little bit, but I'll see if I can do anything about that when I block it.) Now I'm into the second one, and it's going well.
The only problem was that I finished the first one after only three days, so to make the Knitting Olympics more of a challenge, I think I'll try to complete two projects in the 17 days. I'm not sure what I'll do after I finish the second mitt, but I definitely have a lot of projects lined up, so I'll try to pick something more challenging.