View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad
Jan in CA's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 38,162
Thanks: 1,723
Thanked 8,979 Times in 7,324 Posts
No question is silly! This is a good one.

Ball is kind of a generic term which can be confusing. It usually refers to any yarn that is wound into a ball (round) or a cake (round and flat on top and bottom).

A hank of yarn is in a twist. If the yarn is in a hank you need to wind it somehow because its almost impossible use without it. . Some people do it by hand and some use a ball winder. A ball winder turns out little cakes of center pull balls. You can also pull from the outside if you prefer. Some yarns need to be used from the outside.

A skein is is the yarn that comes with the wrapper around the middle and can be used as center pull or outside pull. Wether you rewind is personal preference.

I don't have a ball winder (yet) so I wind my own center pull balls. Mine come out surprisingly close to a ball winder shape. I use the video on the bottom of this page.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Ladyofblades (11-07-2012)