Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,880 Times in 7,230 Posts
Knitting flat with circs just takes practice like everything else knitting. Also, not all circs are created equal.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,626 Times in 3,078 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Also, not all circs are created equal.

Very true. I'm spoiled with really flexible cables that don't insist on curling up.

Cheating is an option. . . . Cheaters never win and winners never cheat, but smart knitters who want to retain an iota of sanity do, cheerfully. ~~Kory Stamper
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Very true. I'm spoiled with really flexible cables that don't insist on curling up.
Yeah. If my choice was only inflexible cables or straights...I'd probably crochet again.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
DavidSydney63 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
KnitandPurl
1st Leg of the Journey

The length wasn't a problem; I had more than enough stitches and the needles were Addi's. I plowed through it and it wasnt that bad but I was thinking for an absolute beginner, it would be discouraging.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

I have one set of Addi turbos and I've been fighting that bleeping cable and hate it! It curls, it kinks, it tries to wrap around my neck and strangle me. The socks I have on the Addis are on hold until I get the WEBS Nova size 0 which shipped out today. Yeah, the right cable makes all the difference.

OK, so I exaggerated when I said it tries to choke me. It does manage to get tangled in my fingers. That cable makes knitting not fun.

Cheating is an option. . . . Cheaters never win and winners never cheat, but smart knitters who want to retain an iota of sanity do, cheerfully. ~~Kory Stamper
Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Addis are not my favorite either, but some people love them.

It's becoming more common for beginners to start with circs.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-18-2013, 03:44 AM   #17
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

@KnitandPurl - there's a difference: you're talking about using circulars to knit "in the round" ... I've not tried that yet, but I use them in lieu of straights as men's garments tend to hang VERY heave on the needles if you're knitting a sweater or vest (I've knitted a few of those in my time).

My two cent's worth.
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
KnitandPurl
1st Leg of the Journey

It looks like my experience is not the norm for beginners here. I don't want to confuse the OP so I'll stop here. My only reason for sharing is to share one beginner's experience with another.

But while I'm at it in case some one has a solution, another annoyance is that stitches don't slide from the cable to the needle easily. No doubt I make them smaller by putting them on the cable to check them. Of course, the simple solution would be not to pull my work but it evens out the stitches and makes it easier to spot mistakes.

@Dave, I've knitted flat swatches with the circulars. If I knitted a heavy item like a blanket or heavy sweater, I definitely would use circulars.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

KnitandPurl, as Jan said, not all circs are created equal. Some allow the stitches to slide from cable to needle tip more easily than others. When I first started I used some Boye Circs and the join on them doesn't allow the stitches to move over it easily. My Knit Picks set of interchangeables has a smooth join and the stitches slide much more easily. Still, when I'm knitting socks 2 at a time, the end stitches can be a bit of a nuisance because I intentionally have knitted them tighter and I have to encourage them some as they move from cable to needle tip. Some cables are more determined to curl than others and the cables that resember weed whacker cord can be the worst, that's what my Boyes have. What's most important is what works for you. If you prefer the straight needles, then use the straight needles. I don't think any of us wants to tell you that you should or must do anything the way we do it. Enjoy your knitting. If it works for you, it's right for you. Your experience, thoughts, and opinions matter too.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion, K&P. It's good there are so many choices of needles so everyone can use what they like best!

As for stitches sliding...that can happen depending on needle and cable size and material or even stitch size or fiber or even whether you knit tight or loose. It's mostly only happens to me if I'm using larger needles. They have to taper to the cable so when stitches get to the cable they naturally shrink up a bit which makes it hard. Fortunately I don't like big needles and rarely use them.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~