Old 02-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
monacotx
Casting On

tension with combination stitches
Hi, I am new at this so I am hoping this is where I need to be. I am knitting an afghan that has a combination of stockinette, garter, and cable stitches. Sometimes all on the same line. I am finding that even though I try to keep my tension the same, one side of my work looks looser than the other. I also am noticing that this seems to happen mostly when I am transitioning from a knit stitch to a purl stitch in the same row. The last knit stitch before the purl stitch is always much looser and bigger no matter what I do.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Alice :XX:
monacotx is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,842 Posts
You're not doing anything wrong. This is a common problem when switch from knit to purl. I just try to keep the needles as close together as possible and keep my yarn taut.

There is a way I've read around here that if you wrap the first purl stitch the other way that that tightens it up. I haven't done this, so I can't say if it works or not.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
monacotx
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ingrid
You're not doing anything wrong. This is a common problem when switch from knit to purl. I just try to keep the needles as close together as possible and keep my yarn taut.

There is a way I've read around here that if you wrap the first purl stitch the other way that that tightens it up. I haven't done this, so I can't say if it works or not.
Thanks, I try that and let you know how it worked.
Alice
monacotx is offline   Reply With Quote