Old 02-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #311
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Just checking in -- is everyone staying warm?

The kids had three days off of school these past due weeks (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) because of the wind chill. There were rumors that they might be off today too, but fortunately they went back.

I finished the second infinity scarf for my mom, and as usual when I make something for her, I didn't take a picture of it. LOL I actually thought she wouldn't take it, but she loved it as soon as she saw it and ran off with it.

It was the same pattern as my practice one, but with lighter weight of the same yarn, in a brighter (by request) color and a few extra stitches to keep the length the same. I also used only two skeins, instead of three, so it is not as bulky. My daughter still loves the big bulky one I made first and apparently still gets a lot of comments on it. She likes to use it as both a hood and a scarf.

I'm thinking about making another one for myself. All of my scarves are in the wash right now and I'm currently without one of my own. (That is, they are all in a basket needing to be washed but I keep forgetting to actually wash them. I keep changing my mind what I'm going to wash them with.)

Since I'm without a scarf of my own, I'm currently wearing the scarf I made for my youngest. He says he doesn't mind if I wear it. It's a bit shorter than I like, but long enough to wrap around my neck, so I guess it's all right. It is a 2x2 rib pattern made from red Lion Brand Homespun, squishy and warm.

It's also little itchy -- which is why *he* doesn't like to wear it -- I think because I didn't pick out ALL of the wood chip pieces stuck to it. (The ones left are really tiny.) I don't know what he does on the playground that gets so many tiny pieces caught in his scarf! I made similar scarves for my other two kids and they don't complain about itchiness, which they used to do when their scarves were superwash wool, instead of acrylic.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #312
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,647 Times in 3,315 Posts
This doesn't sound like a good time to have all the scarves in the wash. Today was another shovel snow day for us in Maryland.
Sounds like you're a busy knitter indeed.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #313
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

We still have temperatures below zero ourselves. There hasn't been any new snow for a few days though, which I appreciate. I'm sorry it's all getting dumped on you.

It's supposed to get up into the 20s after this, which sounds like a heat wave! LOL
Old 03-02-2015, 02:35 AM   #314
susauehl
1st Leg of the Journey

I feel bad for you guys and all your snow. We haven't had snow in the valley here in Idaho, just cold days. But tomorrow it warms up a bit. My crocus are already in bloom. Finished my sweater for my granddaughter and going to see her this week. They live in Seattle so we are heading out tomorrow!
susauehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #315
salmonmac
Mod Squad

It's cheery just to hear about crocus somewhere! Have a great trip, good weather and a wonderful visit in Seattle.
susauehl (03-12-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #316
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

The blooming crocuses made me smile too.

Have a good trip!
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
susauehl (03-12-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #317
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Got Frozen in the mail last week -- it looks great! Thanks, Kari!

My daughter and I were working concessions for the boys basketball tournament at our church last Saturday. We didn't have a lot of customers, so she was drawing in her sketchbook and I decided to start on the oddball snuggle. I wrapped my tail up with the tail already there, picked up the needles, and then couldn't remember what to do next!

First I picked up the wrong end, trying to work the yarn that I'm saving to weave in when I'm done. Then I had to set it all down and try to pick it up again.

I've been crocheting for the last three or four months, not doing any knitting, so I picked up the working yarn with my left hand, wrapped it around my finger, and then couldn't figure out how to get it on the needle.

Then I rememberd the yarn goes in my right hand. I was able to knit that way for a little while, but whenever my attention drifted a little bit (such as when people walked by), I'd move the yarn to my left hand and get stuck again.

I had tried continental knitting a while ago, but was impatient with how uneven the stitches were compared to how they usually look and gave it up. I will tell you it took me two days to realize that I what I ended up doing for the next two and half rows was continental. I thought I was just making it up. And the stitches are still uneven (but not as much) and this *is* a blanket for the animal shelter, so I think it will both straighten up in the wash and not matter when it's getting used.

My daughter thought it was funny that I forgot how to knit, even if it was just for a couple of minutes.

Anyway, I'm working on finishing Frozen now although it will probably be a couple of weeks while I get back up to speed with knitting. Should I put out signups for the next one now or wait another week or so when it gets closer to being ready to go out? Is it too early to ask for a commitment?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (03-16-2015), susauehl (03-22-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #318
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Yes, it's wonderful to try to switch techniques and go from one habitual motion to a remembered one. Sometimes I just find myself saying, "What, you do what? How?"
Glad to hear that Frozen is in progress.
I'll be happy to sign up whenever you want to post the next snuggle.
Many thanks for the latest report.
sakura-panda (Yesterday), susauehl (03-22-2015)
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM   #319
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I took my daughter to the knitting group at church last night, thinking that she might enjoy working on charity projects, and she really enjoyed it. She didn't get much done and I think we have to frog and reknit the portion she worked on, but there were others to help her (besides impatient me) and I think it helped her.

She is excited to go back and even took a skein of yarn from their stash to work on before the next time she goes back. (She was working with an afghan square and wants to try a knit-flat infant bootie.) She is 8 years old and was surprised that there were no *teenagers* there -- that's what she pictured when I warned her that the other knitters would be older than her LOL -- but she said it she didn't mind.

I worked on Frozen and couldn't tell you how far along it is now. I kept getting distracted and in the end just shoved it into my bag when we left. (We stayed 20 minutes later than I had planned!)
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
susauehl (Yesterday)
Old Today, 05:01 AM   #320
salmonmac
Mod Squad

What a wonderful place to knit and learn to knit. Nice to have a group that gets together like that with a charity in mind.
sakura-panda (Today)