Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Casting On
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just joined !!!
I crochet alot but I also have knitted some-I'm looking for a patten for a men's sweater--i hope I can explain what I'm looking for-I would like to know what they call the sweaters that have colored pictures in them --ex-deer, fish within the pattern-does anyone know what they're called or where to find a pattern for a nice (not pull over sweater) Thank you. [/url][/b]
For the best homemade choclates please visit:
craftylady1956 is offline   Reply With Quote


This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Grafting the Toe
hunterjenn's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 4,021
Thanks: 67
Thanked 154 Times in 147 Posts
Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Hi! I don't know if I can help, but I wanted to say welcome. Are you talking about a sweater with an animal worked in yarn? I'm not aware that there's a specific name for that kind of sweater, but there are lots of sweaters at
Recently finished:
*Dream Swatch in Madil Eden Bamboo
On the needles:
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
Working the Gusset
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 1,350
Thanks: 1
Thanked 182 Times in 160 Posts
Those pictures knitted in are called intarsia. You can look for a sweater pattern containing a picture, but it might not be the picture and jumper you wanted, so I'd suggest finding a plainer man's jumper pattern, and adding in a chart. There's a video demonstrating intarsia on this site. There's also a site where one can convert a picture into a chart:

but I think this may have been created for embroidery, where the squares are square. In knitting, each stitch is rectangular, I'd suggest drawing out your chosen pattern on knitter's graph paper.

There's another type of colourwork, with smaller colour blocks, and patterns that tend to look geometric - think those hats/Norwegian mittens with small snowflake patterns on them. I'm virtually certain they're not the kind you want, but keep them in mind: called 'stranded colourwork' or sometimes 'Fair Isle'.

redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi, just joined Arielluria General Knitting 18 03-17-2007 01:32 PM
I've joined the mmmmmmasses! HamaLee General Knitting 8 01-12-2007 11:31 AM
I joined Liliyarn Creating Yarn: Spinning, Dyeing, etc. 0 08-30-2006 11:27 AM
Just joined knotmaker General Knitting 16 07-21-2006 01:23 PM
Just Joined krisleon General Knitting 5 07-05-2005 04:11 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.